Find constant when velocity is proportional to time

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding a body coming to rest when velocity is directly proportional to time. Participants discussed the unclear wording of the problem and suggested approaching it through unit analysis. After some assumptions were made, an answer was found that matched with dimensional analysis.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=f219061ff258015ee513723c515f5b27.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am having difficulty understanding the question statement . I do not understand how can body come to rest when velocity is directly proportional to time .As time progresses , velocity increases .

Could someone help me understand the problem

Thanks

Attachments

• velocity.png
    velocity.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of saying "before coming to rest", I think the problem should say "after starting from rest".
Edit: But then, it can't have non-zero initial kinetic energy. So assume K is the KE of the body after traveling the distance d.

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi
cnh1995 said:
Instead of saying "before coming to rest", I think the problem should say "after starting from rest".

Are you getting one of the options ?

Jahnavi said:
Are you getting one of the options ?
See I edited the post. I haven't tried it yet.

The concept of direct proportionality does not specify the sign of the relationship (the constant of proportionality can be either positive or negative).

I'm not impressed by the author's way of presenting the problem. I think it's intended to be an exercise in unit analysis, but they should have made it more clear that "V = Ct" was simply meant to demonstrate what direct proportionality means, not a formula that specifies the actual equation of motion for the given scenario.

I suggest that you approach the problem in terms of unit analysis. Eliminate the answers that cannot be correct on the basis of the units that would result if direct proportionality (e.g. V = Ct) holds.

Likes cnh1995 and Jahnavi
cnh1995 said:
Edit: But then, it can't have non-zero initial kinetic energy. So assume K is the KE of the body after traveling the distance d.
Using these assumptions, I am getting an answer from the options. Also, dimensional analysis, as suggested by gneill, gives the same answer.

Likes Jahnavi
cnh1995 said:
Using these assumptions, I am getting an answer from the options. Also, dimensional analysis, as suggested by gneill, gives the same answer.

Yes . Your assumption does give the answer which in turn matches with dimensional analysis .

Thanks .

Likes cnh1995
Jahnavi said:
Yes . Your assumption does give the answer which in turn matches with dimensional analysis .

Thanks .
You're welcome!

Likes Jahnavi

1. What is the equation for velocity when it is proportional to time?

The equation for velocity when it is proportional to time is v = kt, where v is the velocity, k is the constant of proportionality, and t is the time.

2. How do you find the constant of proportionality?

To find the constant of proportionality, you need to have two values for velocity and time. Then, you can plug these values into the equation v = kt and solve for k.

3. Can the constant of proportionality be negative?

Yes, the constant of proportionality can be negative. A negative value for k indicates that the velocity and time have an inverse relationship, meaning that as time increases, the velocity decreases.

4. What units are used for the constant of proportionality?

The units for the constant of proportionality depend on the units used for velocity and time. For example, if velocity is measured in meters per second and time is measured in seconds, then the units for k would be meters per second squared.

5. How is the constant of proportionality related to the slope of a velocity-time graph?

The constant of proportionality, k, is equal to the slope of a velocity-time graph. This means that if you plot velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis, the slope of the line will be equal to the value of k.