Find current generated from photoelectric effect.

In summary, a beam of light with a wavelength of 300nm and a power of 1 microW strikes a metal surface with a work function of 2.25eV. Each photon from the beam causes one electron to be emitted, resulting in a total of 3*1.51x10^12 electrons per second. By using the equation I = Q/t, where Q is the total charge and t is the time, the resulting current is calculated to be 0.726microamps.
lagwagon555

Homework Statement

A beam of light of 300nm is shone at a metal surface of work function 2.25eV. The power of the light striking each square centimeter is 1 microW. A total of 3cm^2 is illuminated by the beam. If each photon caused an electron to be ejected, what current is produced?

Homework Equations

E = hf - (work function)]
P/V = I
E = hf

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated each electron emitted to have 1.89eV, and for each square centimeter, 1.51x10^12 photons strike per second, So, I try to use P/V = I, using P = 3microwatts and V = 1.89eV, which gives me an answer of 1.59microamps. However, the answer given in the book is 0.726microamps. Can anyone see where I'm going wrong, or any concepts I'm not understanding correctly? Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The I = P/V doesn't make sense to me.
You get one electron for each photon, so you have 3*1.51x10^12 electrons flowing per second. Use I = Q/t to figure out the resulting current.

It is incorrect to use the 3 microwatts on the electron side because much of the power is lost in knocking those electrons loose.

That 1.89 eV you calculated, is the kinetic energy of the emitted electron- it is not voltage. (voltage is work/charge).You need the current- the charge flowing through a cross section in one second. You got 1.51x10^12 photons/cm2, they will kick out the same number of electrons in one second and three times that from 3 cm2. The out-flowing electrons carry e=1.6x10^19 charge each what is the total charge supplied by the photocell in one second?

ehild

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. How is current generated from the photoelectric effect?

When light of a certain frequency, known as the threshold frequency, is shone on a material, it causes electrons to be emitted from the material. These electrons can then be collected and directed to flow in a specific direction, creating an electric current.

3. What factors affect the amount of current generated from the photoelectric effect?

The amount of current generated from the photoelectric effect is dependent on the intensity of the light, the frequency of the light, and the properties of the material, such as its work function and resistance to electron flow.

4. Can any material generate current from the photoelectric effect?

No, only certain materials, known as photoelectric materials, are capable of generating current from the photoelectric effect. These materials have a low work function, meaning it takes less energy for electrons to be emitted from them when exposed to light.

5. How is the photoelectric effect used in practical applications?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications, including solar panels, photoelectric cells, and photomultiplier tubes. It is also used in the field of spectroscopy to analyze the properties of materials and in photography to capture images.