Find Current I1 in 7.5 Ω Resistor with Kirchhoff's Rule

  • Thread starter Thread starter deenuh20
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Current Resistor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
deenuh20
Messages
50
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In the circuit below: (a) Find the current I1 that passes through the 7.5 Ω resistor.



Homework Equations



Kirchhoff's Rule--Loops

The Attempt at a Solution


This was a problem in my textbook. The answer is .65 A, but I don't understand how to get that. I tried Kirchhoff's rule by finding equivalent R between A & B and Then finding equivalent R between A & C then finding I, Then breaking I into I1 and I2 (according to the parallel resistances between A & B)

However, I still didn't get the answer, .65 A. Was my approach correct, or is there another way? Thank you.
 
Attachments
  • Circuit 2.jpg
    Circuit 2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
Your plan of how to solve it is OK, and when I did it that way I got 0.65A.

If you can't find your mistake, show your working, then somebody can check through it.