What is the current through each resistor in this circuit?

In summary, the circuit shown in the figure has four resistors with values R1 = 12, R2 = 6.0, R3 = 7.3, and R4 = 15, and an emf of the battery E = 18V. Two methods were used to find the current through each resistor: the rules for series and parallel resistors, and Kirchhoff's rules. In terms of (I1, I2, I3, I4), the current through each resistor can be found using these methods. To get help, it would be beneficial to provide the figure and show some attempt at solving the problem.
Rodgerd
Consider the circuit shown in the figure . Suppose the four resistors in this circuit have the values R1 = 12 , R2 = 6.0 , R3 = 7.3 , and R4 = 15 , and that the emf of the battery is E = 18V .

(1) Find the current through each resistor using the rules for series and parallel resistors. Answer in terms of (I1, I2, I3, I4)

(2) Find the current through each resistor using Kirchhoff's rules. Answer in terms of (I1, I2, I3, I4)

Physics news on Phys.org
Be a lot easier to help you if you actually posted the figure you are talking about.

Also, use the template and show some attempt on you own. We don't just feed answers here.

Now what eqns have you got at your disposal and what did you do with them so far ?

And: welcome to PF :-)

(1) Using the rules for series and parallel resistors, we can calculate the total resistance of the circuit as R = R1 + R2 || R3 + R4, where || represents the parallel combination of resistors. This gives us R = 12 + (6.0*7.3)/(6.0+7.3) + 15 = 12 + 4.24 + 15 = 31.24 ohms.

From Ohm's law, we can calculate the total current in the circuit as I = E/R = 18/31.24 = 0.576 A.

Using the current divider rule, we can calculate the current through each resistor as follows:

I1 = I * (R2 || R3 + R4)/(R1 + R2 || R3 + R4) = 0.576 * (6.0*7.3)/(12 + 6.0*7.3) = 0.17 A

I2 = I * R1/(R1 + R2 || R3 + R4) = 0.576 * 12/(12 + 6.0*7.3) = 0.22 A

I3 = I * R1/(R1 + R2 || R3 + R4) = 0.576 * 7.3/(12 + 6.0*7.3) = 0.13 A

I4 = I * R4/(R1 + R2 || R3 + R4) = 0.576 * 15/(12 + 6.0*7.3) = 0.26 A

Therefore, the current through each resistor is: I1 = 0.17 A, I2 = 0.22 A, I3 = 0.13 A, I4 = 0.26 A.

(2) Using Kirchhoff's rules, we can set up the following equations:

- Loop 1: -E + R1*I1 + (R2 + R3)*I2 = 0
- Loop 2: -E + R4*I4 + (R2 + R3)*I2 = 0
- Junction rule: I1 + I2 = I3 + I4

Solving these equations simultaneously, we get:

I1 = 0.17 A, I2

1. What are series and parallel resistors?

Series resistors are connected in a single path, so that the current flows through each resistor in succession. Parallel resistors are connected in multiple paths, so that the current divides and flows through each resistor simultaneously.

2. How do I determine the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. This can be calculated using the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... , where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

3. How do I calculate the current through each resistor in a parallel circuit?

The current through each resistor in a parallel circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law, where I = V/R. The voltage across each resistor is the same, so the current through each resistor can be found by dividing the total voltage by the individual resistance.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the current is the same throughout the circuit, while in a parallel circuit, the current divides and flows through different paths. Additionally, the total resistance in a series circuit is the sum of the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

5. Can I use the same method to calculate the current in any series or parallel circuit?

Yes, the same rules and formulas can be applied to any series or parallel circuit to calculate the current through each resistor. However, it is important to note that the values of the resistors and the voltage source may vary, so the calculations may be different for each circuit.