Find current passing through resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a formula using resistance and voltage to find the current flowing through an 8 Ohm resistor in a circuit. It is suggested to find the current in the circuit where U1 is shorted and the current in the circuit where U2 is shorted and add them. The formula V=IR is mentioned, but it is unclear what U1 and U2 represent. It is suggested to replace V with U1-U2 in the formula. The conversation also mentions reducing the circuit using series and parallel resistances and using the formula R=(1/R1+1/R2+...+1/Rn)^-1 to find the resultant resistance. The idea of using I=V/R to find the current
snabelpablo
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6889/imagepf.jpg

I need to create a formula using R (resistance), U1 and U2 (voltage) for the current flowing through the 8 Ohm resistor. I've been looking at this for hours now and I still don't even know where to begin. Can anyone get me started on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the current in the circuit where U1 is shorted, and the current in the circuit where U2 is shorted and add them (watch the direction of the current)

if you short either one of the voltage sources, the rest of the network can be reduced with series and parallel resistances.

for an explanation see here

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/7.html

The resistor formula is V = IR.
There can only be one voltage across a resistor. It isn't clear what your U1 and U2 are - perhaps they are the voltages with respect to ground on the two ends of the resistor. If so, replace the V in the formula with U1 - U2.

I must have missed something basic because I still can't wrap my brain around this.
Here is how I see it (and this is probably very wrong since I know next to nothing about this):

Current from the first power source with the voltage U1 can go through resistor 6+4 OR 6+R OR 8. If I put this into the formula R=(1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn)^-1 i get the resultant resistance which will be an expression containing R. I do the same for the second power source that must go through 2 and the same parallell connection. I can then use I=V/R to find the current through the 8 Ohm resistor. Or can I?

Maybe someone could show me with some calculations?

What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that is used to limit the flow of current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material that has high resistance to the flow of electricity, such as carbon or metal alloys.

How do I find the current passing through a resistor?

To find the current passing through a resistor, you can use Ohm's law which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, I = V/R. Alternatively, you can use a multimeter to directly measure the current flowing through the resistor.

What units are used to measure current?

The unit of measurement for current is Ampere (A), which is named after the French physicist Andre-Marie Ampere. Smaller units, such as milliamps (mA) and microamps (μA), are also commonly used to measure current in electronic circuits.

Why does the current passing through a resistor change?

The current passing through a resistor changes either when the voltage across the resistor changes or when the resistance of the resistor changes. This can happen due to external factors such as fluctuations in the power supply or changes in the temperature of the resistor.

What factors affect the current passing through a resistor?

The main factors that affect the current passing through a resistor are the voltage across the resistor, the resistance of the resistor, and the temperature of the resistor. Additionally, the type of material used in the resistor and the surrounding circuit components can also have an impact on the current passing through the resistor.