1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Cv as a function of V & T (or P & T) given G(P,T)?

1. Feb 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The function G is given in the question: [tex]G(P,T) = \frac{-aT^2} {P}, [/tex]
    where a is a positive constant.
    2. Relevant equations
    [tex] dG = Vdp - SdT, [/tex]
    and probably [tex] S(V,T) = (\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_V dT + (\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})_T dV [/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]C_v dT = TdS, [/tex]
    ∴​
    [tex](\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_vdT = \frac {C_v}{T}[/tex]
    .. and that's about as far as I got.

I could find C_p by taking a partial derivative of G with respect to T and get [tex](\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_pdT = \frac {C_p}{T}[/tex]
    , which turned into something like [itex] \frac{-2aT}{P} [/itex] but I don't know how I would find [itex]C_v[/itex] without being given a starting function of V and T like Helmholt's energy. Because I'm looking for [itex]C_v[/itex] I'm 90% sure that the function will be a function of V & T, not P & T.

Pls help thx

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2016 #2
    In order to get Cv, you are going to have to get U. U can be obtained from knowledge of H and PV. Do you know how to get H if you know G(P,T)? Do you know how to get V if you know G(P,T)?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted