Find distance beyond the myopic farpoint

• Thread starter Petra de Ruyter
  • Start date
In summary, a myopic person with a far point of 150 cm and a near point of 20 cm is able to see objects within the range of 20 cm to 150 cm clearly. The question asks for the object distance when the person is able to see an image of an object at 20 cm from the eye. More information may be needed to fully solve the problem.
Petra de Ruyter

Homework Statement

A myopic person has a far point of 150cm and can see objects clearly at 20cm near point. What is the object distance?

Homework Equations

Thin lens equation 1/f =1/d1-do.

The Attempt at a Solution

di = -150cm because it's on the left of the lens. do = should = infinity, but I needed to know what the actual object distance is...beyond the myopic farpoint. I'm not sure that the 20cm near point is relevant. Does this mean that the actual object distance is do=1/0 and rearrange to find the actual object distance. However I'm not sure how this would work.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first sentence makes sense, but the second one does not. It seems that there is some missing information. The first sententence tells us that this person's eye can forcus on objects within the range 20 cm out to 150 cm. Now all of a sudden the sencond sentence wants to know where the object is located? I get the impression that the rest of the missing information concerns a problem where this person has glasses on which produces an image of some object located outside this range?

Hi there
This is the question
"What is the object distance when a myopic person with a far point of 150 cm, can see near images clearly at 20 cm from the eye."

I keep thinking that I need more information.

The question might mean that the person is wearing glasses to enable her to see distant objects clearly, but now she is looking at an object which results in an image of it being formed 20 cm in front of the eye?

1. What is the myopic farpoint?

The myopic farpoint is the closest point at which a person with myopia (nearsightedness) can see objects clearly without the use of corrective lenses.

2. How do I find the distance beyond the myopic farpoint?

The distance beyond the myopic farpoint can be found by using the formula D = 1/f, where D is the distance in meters and f is the power of the corrective lens in diopters. For example, if the lens has a power of -3 diopters, the distance beyond the myopic farpoint would be 1/(-3) = -0.33 meters, or 33 centimeters.

3. Can someone with myopia see beyond the myopic farpoint?

No, someone with myopia cannot see beyond the myopic farpoint without the use of corrective lenses. This is because the shape of their eye causes light to focus in front of the retina, making distant objects appear blurry.

4. Is there a way to reduce the myopic farpoint distance?

Yes, there are several treatments and strategies that can be used to reduce the myopic farpoint distance. These include wearing corrective lenses, undergoing laser eye surgery, or using orthokeratology (corneal reshaping) lenses. Additionally, certain eye exercises and lifestyle changes may also help reduce the progression of myopia.

5. Can the myopic farpoint change over time?

Yes, the myopic farpoint can change over time, as myopia can worsen or improve depending on various factors such as genetics, age, and environmental factors. It is important to regularly visit an eye doctor to monitor any changes in the myopic farpoint distance and adjust corrective lenses accordingly.