1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Image Distance with two concave lenses

1. Jul 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object 1.25 cm tall is placed 100 cm in front of a convex lens with a focal length of magnitude 50 cm. A concave lens with a focal length of magnitude 20 cm is placed 90 cm beyond the first lens. Where is the final image located?

2. Relevant equations
    (1/s)+(1/s')=1/f
    s= object distance from lens
    s'= image distance from lens
    f= focal length
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I wasn't sure where to start so I tried find the image distance for the first lens.
    (1/100cm)+(1/s')=(1/50cm) => (1/100cm)-(1/50cm)=(-1/100cm)=(1/s') => s'= -100

After this i got stuck because I wasn't sure what to do when the image distance is behind the second lens.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have sign errors here.
    Take the object distance negative.

4. Jul 18, 2016 #3

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The image formed by the first lens acts as the object for the second lens. However, when you apply the thin-lens equation for the second lens you'll need to make sure that the object distance is the distance measured from the second lens, which you can do by taking into account the distance between the two lenses.

Be careful of the signs. As ehild says, you have an error in your first calculation.

5. Jul 19, 2016 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Being behind he second lens this image is then a virtual object for the second lens. The light rays are still entering the second lens, but they seem to originate from a object located on the "wrong" side of the lens. The rays will therefore not form the object and is thus a virtual object for the second lens.

6. Jul 19, 2016 #5
    Ok thanks a lot. This was giving me a lot of frustration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted