Find E[(X-mu)^k] - Normal Random Variable

In summary, the question is asking for the expected value of (X-mu)^k for all k. The person is confused and needs help to approach the question.
motherh
Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem with a probability question. The question is

Let X be a normal random variable with mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and variance [itex]\sigma^{2}[/itex]. Find E[(X -[itex]\mu[/itex])[itex]^{k}[/itex]] for all k = 1,2,...

I'm not really sure what to do and need some help to confirm how to approach the question. I've tried messing around with moment generating functions, using the binomial theorem to expand E[(X -[itex]\mu[/itex])[itex]^{k}[/itex]] and also have tried computing the expectation directly. Are any of these methods the correct way to progress?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Letting [itex]m_k= \mathbb E[(X-\mu)^k][/itex], we know [itex]m_1=0[/itex] by definition of [itex]\mu[/itex]. Next, maybe try to use integration by parts (and the exact functional form of the p.d.f. [itex]\phi[/itex]) to express [itex]m_k[/itex] ([itex]k=2,3,...[/itex]) in terms of [itex]m_1,...,m_{k-1}[/itex].

Hi, thanks for your help so far! I'm a little bit confused though. What do I integrate by parts exactly? And I'm a little bit thrown by "the exact functional form of the p.d.f. ϕ" - what do you mean? Apologies, I use ϕ as part of my notation for moment generating functions.

Anyone? I'm still really confused. Do I need a binomial expansion of (X-mu)^k in my answer somewhere?

Hey. I was using the notation [itex]\phi(z) = \frac1{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{z^2}2}[/itex], the probability density function of [itex]\mathcal N(0,1)[/itex], so that the the p.d.f. of a [itex]\mathcal N(\mu,\sigma^2)[/itex] random variable is [itex]f(x)=\phi\left(\frac{x-\mu}{\sigma}\right)[/itex].

Then, we can express the desired numbers as [tex]m_k = \int_{-\infty}^\infty (x-\mu)^k f(x)\text{ d}x.[/tex]

To clean up notation, let's notice that [itex]m_k = \sigma^k n_k[/itex], where [itex]n_k = \mathbb E \left[ \left( \frac{x-\mu}{\sigma} \right)^k \right][/itex]. So we can just work with the system [tex]n_k = \int_{-\infty}^\infty z^k\phi(z)\text{ d}z,[/tex] which I would suggest attacking with IBP.

Ah, thank you so much! I got the relation m_(k+2) = sigma^2 * (k+1) * m_k, does that sound right?

With m_1 = 0 it means m_k = 0 for odd k which does seem to make sense.

1. What does "Find E[(X-mu)^k]" mean?

"Find E[(X-mu)^k]" is asking for the expected value of the random variable (X-mu)^k. This is a way to measure the average deviation from the mean of a normal distribution.

2. What is a normal random variable?

A normal random variable is a continuous probability distribution that is often used to model natural phenomena such as height, weight, or test scores. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and is symmetric around its mean.

3. How is the expected value of a normal random variable calculated?

The expected value of a normal random variable is calculated by taking the integral of x times the probability density function (PDF) over the entire range of x. This can be expressed mathematically as E[X] = ∫x*f(x)dx, where f(x) is the PDF of the normal distribution.

4. What does "mu" represent in "Find E[(X-mu)^k]"?

In this context, "mu" represents the mean of the normal distribution. It is a measure of central tendency and indicates the average value of the random variable.

5. Why is it important to find the expected value of a normal random variable?

Finding the expected value of a normal random variable allows us to understand the average behavior of the variable and make predictions about its future values. It is also a key component in calculating other important statistics such as variance and standard deviation.