Find EMF of a battery in this circuit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
jdmaxwell02
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
In the circuit below R=53.0 Ω and assume both batteries have zero internal resistance and the voltmeter and ammeter are ideal. When the switch is open the voltmeter displays 14.2 V.



Find the emf e m f of the unknown battery: ___ V

If the switch is closed what does the ammeter display? ____ A
Relevant Equations
EMF-Ir=IR?
1585098373348.png
 
Attachments
  • thumbnail_Image.jpg
    thumbnail_Image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 238
Physics news on Phys.org
why did you stop where you did in simplifying the circuit?

EDIT: oh, wait ... I see now. You didn't simplify the circuit at all, you drew the two cases.

Simplify the circuit in each case and you can work it down to numerical answers.
 
phinds said:
why did you stop where you did in simplifying the circuit?

EDIT: oh, wait ... I see now. You didn't simplify the circuit at all, you drew the two cases.

Simplify the circuit in each case and you can work it down to numerical answers.

The two batteries in parallel are kinda confusing me. How would I simplify that? Also, I got 98.9 for the equivalent Resistance. Does that seem correct?
 
jdmaxwell02 said:
The two batteries in parallel are kinda confusing me. How would I simplify that?
First, draw the circuit when the switch is open. With that information, can you find the unknown emf using KVL?
 
Last edited: