Find Energy of 2kg Stone After Projection from 15m Cliff

  • Thread starter Thread starter lingling
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Projection
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
lingling
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A stone of mass 2 kg is projected horizontally with a speed of 20 m/s from a cliff which is 15 m above the ground. Find the energy possessed by the stone just before touching the ground.

A. 400J
B. 500J
C. 600J
D. 700J

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I can't get the answer. How can I achieve it?
I think 'just before touching the ground' means when the stone is still moving, but I don't know the velocity at this instant. And at the same time, the stone is losing potential energy, how can I manage this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Inital Energy = Final Energy

Consider 'just before the stone touches the ground' to be the stone has actually hit the ground but not lost any kinetic energy, the instant the stone touches the ground.
 
lingling said:
Ah... I've got it!
Thanks a lot!
My pleasure :smile: