Find Expectation Value for Particle Moving in N Steps of Length L

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Pacopag
Messages
193
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


A particle moves in a sequence of steps of length L. The polar angle [tex]\theta[/tex] for each step is taken from the (normalized) probability density [tex]p(\theta)[/tex]. The azimuthal angle is uniformly distributed. Suppose the particle makes N steps.
My question is how do I find the expectation value (say [tex]<z^2>[/tex] for example).

Homework Equations


Usually for a probability density p(x) we have
[tex]<x^m>=\int x^m p(x) dx[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution


I think that I can get the values for one step. eg.
[tex]<z^2>=\int_0^\pi (Lcos(\theta))^2p(\theta)d\theta={L^{2}\over 2}[/tex]
Note: the density [tex]p(\theta)[/tex] is normalized.
I just don't know how to treat N steps. Do I just multiply the one-step result by N?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh ya. Sorry. It is
[tex]p(\theta) ={2 \over \pi}cos^2({\theta \over 2})[/tex]