1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find flux of CO2: convert (μmolCO2 (mol air)^-1) to (mgC)(m^-2 of ground hr^–1)

1. May 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am doing an experiment to find the difference in photosynthesis between different areas of grass.

I have and am taking more measurements. But essentially I need to convert the data I have into a flux per area over time.

the data logger records the data of CO2 concentration in (μmolCO2 (mol air)-1). I had it set to do so every second and recorded data fro 4-5 minutes.

I have the slope of the trendline, but I am unsure what that slope is.

Is the slope (μmolCO2 (mol air)-1) per second since its rise/run?

2. Relevant equations
    equations of the data I have

closed chamber: y = 2.3778x + 588.26

clear chamber: y = -0.3184x + 399.19

3. The attempt at a solution

basically I want to find how much co2 was used. so if I have X amount of co2 being emitted from the ground that is my background noise. I did that with a closed chamber so no light got in and therefor no photosynthesis occurred. Then measured the same grass with a clear chamber and got a decrease. This decrease should be more since there was still background noise. So the grass was using at least as much co2 as was emitted from the ground plus some more.

I cant actually do the calculations since I am missing an important piece of data in the volume of the chambers. which were different sizes as well.

I want my flux in (mgC)(m^-2 of ground hr^–1)

Can anyone give me a basic walkthrough of how to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah. The slope of the graph is the rate of change of CO2 concentration with time. Therefore, it has dimensions of [concentration]/[time] in the units you happen to be using for those two quantities (which you indicated).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook