Find Force From A Graph Of Potential

In summary, the conversation discussed evaluating the x-component of the electrical force on a charge of 4.05 C located at -13.0 m on the x-axis. The equation E_x = -∂V/∂X was used, and the tangent line was drawn at x = -13.0 m with a slope of -250 kV/m. However, there were discrepancies in the measurements and further calculations were needed to accurately determine the force, which was eventually found to be -1.0125 N.
Winzer

Homework Statement

The electric potential along the x-axis (in kV) is plotted versus the value of x, (in m). Evaluate the x-component of the electrical force on a charge of 4.05 C located on the x-axis at -13.0 m.

Homework Equations

[tex] E_{x}= -\frac{\partial V}{\partial X} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok So i drew a tangent line at x=-13 and kv[tex]\approx[/tex]62.5

I know I must perform Eq=F for the x-axis.
So I did:
[tex] E_{x}=-\frac{\partial V}{\partial X}=\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]
[tex]\rightarrow\frac{f(-13+h)-f(-13)}{h}[/tex] I broke each cube into 5's vertically and thought 1 would be good to equall h so :
[tex]\frac{f(-12)-f(-13)}{1}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow \frac{-125-62.5}{1}[/tex]
Sound good so far? My online HW system says I have to be really accurate with these measurements and such

Attachments

• plot.png
    plot.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm seeing voltage as 0 at x=-12.5, and a positive value at x=-13.

so :
[tex] \frac{f(-12.5)-f(-13)}{.5}[/tex]

Last edited:
Winzer said:
so :

Correct. V(-13) > 0 and dV/dx (-12.5) < 0.

But for accuracy, one wants to minimize dx, or [itex]\Delta x[/itex] in this case.

Last edited:
Winzer said:
so :

Yeah, what you had before was ok, but h=0.5 is better than h=1... smaller the h the better...

So how about :
[tex] \frac{f(-12.9)-f(-13)}{.9}= 34.7222kv/m \longrightarrow 34722.22 V/m[/tex]

Winzer said:
So how about :
[tex] \frac{f(-12.9)-f(-13)}{.9}= 34.7222kv/m \longrightarrow 34722.22 V/m[/tex]

Although you want h to be small, you want it to be big enough to accurately discriminate between two points... don't make h smaller than 1 division... 1 division on your graph should be good... I'm seeing 14 divisions between -15 and -10... so that's 0.357 per division.

so maybe use h = 0.357 which is 1 division horizontally.

-13 + 0.357 = -12.643

does f(-12.643)=125 sound accurate?

Winzer said:
does f(-12.643)=125 sound accurate?

f(-13) should be greater than f(-12.643)...

from your first post you measured f(-13) at 62.5...

so one of them isn't right.

Looking at your first post... you drew the tangent at x=-13 right? Did you get the slope of the line?

learningphysics said:
f(-13) should be greater than f(-12.643)...

from your first post you measured f(-13) at 62.5...

so one of them isn't right.

Looking at your first post... you drew the tangent at x=-13 right? Did you get the slope of the line?

Oops. I meant -125

Winzer said:
Oops. I meant -125

Hmmm... that doesn't seem right to me either... don't you think f(-12.5) = 0 ? So f(-12.643) would be positive but less than f(-13)...

The best way might just be to draw the tangent at x = -13, and then get the slope of that line as you had initially mentioned...

But I don't think it is accurate enough

Winzer said:
But I don't think it is accurate enough

what do you get as the slope?

from the top -1.875E2 kv/m

Winzer said:
from the top -1.875E2 kv/m

Hmmm... that doesn't look right... where does the line intersect the y- axis. where does it intersect the x - axis?

ok -250Kv/m is my slope

Winzer said:
ok -250Kv/m is my slope

That sounds much better.

so I convert -250kv/m to -250000v/m times 4.05E-6 C and get -1.0125 N.
but it is wrong

1. What is the relationship between potential and force on a graph?

The slope of the potential graph represents the force. The steeper the slope, the greater the force. This is because force is the negative derivative of potential.

2. How do you find the force from a potential graph?

To find the force from a potential graph, you can calculate the slope of the graph at a specific point. This slope represents the force at that point. Alternatively, you can take the negative derivative of the potential function to find the force function.

3. Can the force be negative on a potential graph?

Yes, the force can be negative on a potential graph. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the potential gradient. Negative force values can also indicate attractive forces, while positive force values indicate repulsive forces.

4. How does the shape of a potential graph affect the force?

The shape of the potential graph directly affects the force. The steeper the slope of the graph, the greater the force. A concave upward graph indicates a repulsive force, while a concave downward graph indicates an attractive force.

5. Can you determine the magnitude of the force from a potential graph?

Yes, you can determine the magnitude of the force from a potential graph by calculating the slope of the graph at a specific point. The greater the slope, the greater the magnitude of the force. However, it is important to note that the potential graph only shows the magnitude of the force and not its direction.