Find \(H(s)\) for Causal LTI System: Region of Convergence

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lti System
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Dustinsfl
Messages
2,217
Reaction score
5
Determine \(H(s)\) and specify its region of convergence. Your answer should be consistent with the fact that the system is causal and stable.

In order to find \(H(s)\), we need to find \(X(s)\) and \(Y(s)\).
\begin{align*}
x(t) &= Ri + L\frac{di}{dt} + \frac{1}{C}\int i(t)dt\\
X(s) &= \mathcal{L}\bigg\{i + \frac{di}{dt} + \int i(t)dt\bigg\}\\
&= I(s) + sI(s) - I(0) + \frac{1}{s}I(s)\\
&= I(s)\bigg(1 + s + \frac{1}{s}\bigg)\\
y(t) &= \frac{1}{C}\int i(t)dt\\
&= \mathcal{L}\bigg\{\int i(t)dt\bigg\}\\
&= \frac{1}{s}I(s)\\
H(s) &= \frac{\frac{1}{s}}{1 + s + \frac{1}{s}}\\
&= \frac{1}{s^2 + s + 1}
\end{align*}
View attachment 2097

What is a causal system?
For convergece, \(\text{Re} \ \{s\} < -\frac{1}{2}\) since the inverse Laplace of H is
\[
\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}t}\sin\Big(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}t\Big).
\]
 
Attachments
  • Screenshot from 2014-03-11 22:17:34.png
    Screenshot from 2014-03-11 22:17:34.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 125
Physics news on Phys.org
So a causal system is when
\[
\lim_{z\to\infty}H(z) < \infty
\]