1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find how much a wire stretched at the bottom of swing of pendulum

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    1. A building is to be demolished by a 400kg shell ball swinging on the end of a 30.0 m steel wire of diameter 5.00 cm hanging from a tall crane. As the ball is swung though an arc from side to side, the wire makes an angle of 50° with the vertical at the top of the swing. find the amount by which the wire is stretched at the bottom of the swing

2. stress=F/A, strain=ΔL/L, F=ma, Y= Young's Modulus

3. ΔL=F/A*L/Y
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2
    I suppose you have the problem at finding the force. User Energy conservation to find the velocity at the lowermost point. Then use the equation T-mg = mv^2/(L+ΔL)

4. Feb 19, 2012 #3
    vivek, let the guy show some work at least. thats the forum policy. the person has not shown ANY work.

5. Feb 19, 2012 #4
    i figured out all these values and plugged them into the eqn i have:

A=1.96E-3 m^2 wire
    Y=20E10
    L=30m
    Tension if it were at rest and bottom: T=mg=3924N
    and got dL=0.03cm
    but i'm assuming at it stretches the same if it were at rest or accelerating when at the bottom
    how do i take acceleration into account?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook