1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find image distance multiple optics.

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As shown in the figure View Figure the candle is at the center of curvature of the concave mirror, whose focal length is 10.0 {\rm cm}. The converging lens has a focal length of 32.0 {\rm cm} and is 85.0 {\rm cm} to the right of the candle. The candle is viewed looking through the lens from the right. The lens forms two images of the candle. The first is formed by light passing directly through the lens. The second image is formed from the light that goes from the candle to the mirror, is reflected, and then passes through the lens.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have already found the first image to be a distance of 51.3 cm I am now looking for the second image.
    Trying to figure out what I put for the object distance to the concave mirror or do I not worry about it.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    Since the object is at the center of curvature, you know that the image formed from the mirror will be at the same center of curvature, only the image will be inverted. Now, use this image as the object for the lens -- you should find that the image distances are the same for both situations. However, in one case the object will be inverted with respect to the original object, and the other will be upright.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?