Find infinitesimal displacement in any coordinate system

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for finding infinitesimal displacement in any coordinate system, using the example of spherical coordinates. This can be done by using the formula d\vec r=\frac{\partial \vec r}{\partial q_j}dq_j (sum over j), where q_j represents the coordinates in the new system. The book "Riley & Hobson" is recommended for further information on this topic, specifically chapters 10 and 26. However, it should be noted that this method may not work on Riemannian manifolds.
Msilva
I am wondering how can I find the infinitesimal displacement in any coordinate system. For example, in spherical coordinates we have the folow relations:
[itex] x = \, \rho sin\theta cos\phi[/itex]
[itex]y = \, \rho sin\theta sin\phi[/itex]
[itex]z = \, \rho cos\theta [/itex]

And we have that [tex]d\vec l = dr\hat r +rd\theta\hat \theta + r sin\theta d\phi \hat \phi [/tex]
How do I found this for any system? What book has this explanation? I am not finding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general the infinitesimal displacement given in some coordinates [itex]q_i[/itex] is [itex]d\vec r=\frac{\partial \vec r}{\partial q_j}dq_j[/itex] (sum over j), so if you have a vector given in cartesian coordinates, and know how to transform those to the new coordinates, you can use the above formula. For more info, I'd suggest Riley & Hobson, chapters 10 and 26.

Note: this works fine in Euclidean space [itex]\mathbb R^n[/itex], but for an arbitrary Riemannian manifold I'm not so sure.

Likes Msilva

1. What is an infinitesimal displacement?

An infinitesimal displacement is a very small change in position or location. It is considered to be the limit of a sequence of smaller and smaller displacements, approaching zero.

2. Why is it important to find infinitesimal displacement in any coordinate system?

Finding infinitesimal displacement in any coordinate system allows us to accurately measure and model the motion and changes in position of objects. It also helps us understand the relationships between different coordinate systems and how they affect the measurement of displacement.

3. How do you calculate infinitesimal displacement in a coordinate system?

To calculate infinitesimal displacement in a coordinate system, you can use the concept of a differential. This involves taking the limit of a small change in position divided by a small change in time, as the change in time approaches zero. Alternatively, you can also use the concept of a derivative, which represents the rate of change of position with respect to time.

4. Can infinitesimal displacement be negative?

Yes, infinitesimal displacement can be negative. This occurs when an object moves in the opposite direction of the coordinate system's positive direction. It is important to consider both the magnitude and direction of infinitesimal displacement when calculating it in a coordinate system.

5. How does finding infinitesimal displacement relate to calculus?

Infinitesimal displacement is a fundamental concept in calculus. It is used to calculate derivatives and integrals, which are essential tools for solving problems involving motion and change. In fact, the concept of infinitesimal displacement is often used to define the derivative of a function.