1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Initial value such that solutions go to -infinity

1. Mar 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the equation y=-4e^t -4/3-2t+Ce^(3t/2), find the initial value y(0)=y_0 that separates solutions that grow positively as t -> infinity from those that grow negatively.

2. Relevant equations

(All are given in the problem statement.)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have half a large page scribbled in small writing over this. I attempted things like Ce^(3t/2) >= 4e^t+2t, which made a pretty graph on Wolfram-alpha. However, the closest I got was this: since t=0, the only thing that can vary in the equation is C. y_0=-4-0-4/3+C. C=y_o+16/3.

Sadly, however, this seems to be utterly useless. The answer is -16/3. How would one come to this answer?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What you wrote is ##y = -4e^t - \frac 4 3 - 2t + Ce^{3t/2}##. Is that what you meant? If not, use parentheses around the entire numerator and entire denominator.

4. Mar 18, 2015 #3
    Yes, sorry. That is what I meant. I thought it was logically unambiguous, but yes Thank you, that is what I meant..

5. Mar 18, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might consider writing that out correctly.

6. Mar 18, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Then what you wrote was correctly written. We get so many people here who write things like x - 2/x2 - 4, when what they actually mean is ##\frac{x - 2}{x^2 - 4}##. I thought you had meant ##\frac{-4e^t - 4}{3 - 2t + Ce^{3t/2}}##.

Anyway, it looks to me like you're on the right track. y(0) = y0 = -4 - 4/3 + C, so solving for C yields C = y0 + 16/3.

If y0 = -16/3, then C = 0, so the term with ##e^{3t/2}## drops out, and the dominant term is -4et, which grows negatively as t → ∞. With this help, maybe you can figure out what happens when y0 < -16/3 and when y0 > -16/3.

7. Mar 19, 2015 #6
    And I see the world more clearly! When C is *not* zero, the exponential with C becomes the dominant term because of it's greater exponent, which is positive as t goes to infinity. However, the exponential with the -4 is negative as e goes to infinity. Therefore, on must *eliminate* C in order to switch the direction!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted