Find Initial Velocity Given Height, Range, and Initial Angle

In summary: The grasshopper's motion is only in the xy plane, so you can break it up into those two components. Then you can use the equations you mentioned to solve for the maximum height and initial velocity. In summary, the problem involves a grasshopper jumping from the edge of a table with known x-initial and x-final values. The initial angle of the jump is 50 degrees from the horizontal and the height of the jump with respect to the table is 0.0674m. The goal is to find the maximum height and initial velocity of the jump. Two relevant equations are given and an attempt at a solution is made using the constant acceleration equations. However, the correct equation for time is derived and it is suggested to first
vcm1992

Homework Statement

So! The problem states that a grasshopper jumps from the edge of a table. We know that x-initial is zero and x-final is 1.06m. This is how far he jumped from the origin. The height of the table is unknown, but we know that the height of the grasshoppers jump with respect to the table was .0674m...the initial angle is 50 degrees from the horizontal. In this problem, I'm trying to find the max height of the grasshoppers jump and the initial velocity of the grasshoppers jump.[/B]

Homework Equations

I've got two relevant equations in my toolbox:

1) Height=)Vo^2(sine of initial theta)^2)/2g2) Range=s=Vo^2/sin2(theta)*g[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the range and tried to solve for Vo:

Vo=sqaure root of (1.06m)(9.8m/s^2)(2sin50cos50)=3.2m/s

This was not the correct answer.

I was unable to solve for height given that we currently know only partial height of the grasshoppers trajectory.[/B]

Any help would be greatly appreciated, or advice on how to perceive problems such as these more efficiently. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity has two components: horizontal and vertical. Can you see how to split the problem up using this?

Well, let's see:

I know that Voy=Vo*sin50 and Vox=Vo*cos50 and Vox=Vx given constant velocity.

Playing around with the constant acceleration equations, I see that:

X=Xo + Voxt+1/2Axt^2 cancels out to X=Vocos50t, then time could be said to be t=1.06m/Vocos50...

Am I headed in the right direction with this?

vcm1992 said:
X=Xo + Voxt+1/2Axt^2
This doesn't look right. There is no acceleration in the X direction. However, you have come up with a correct equation for t:
vcm1992 said:
t=1.06m/Vocos50
That aside, it is difficult to read your notation. Please use LaTeX.

vcm1992 said:
Well, let's see:

I know that Voy=Vo*sin50 and Vox=Vo*cos50 and Vox=Vx given constant velocity.

Playing around with the constant acceleration equations, I see that:

X=Xo + Voxt+1/2Axt^2 cancels out to X=Vocos50t, then time could be said to be t=1.06m/Vocos50...

Am I headed in the right direction with this?

Yes, although perhaps look at the y direction first.

What is the formula for finding initial velocity given height, range, and initial angle?

The formula for finding initial velocity given height, range, and initial angle is v0 = √(gR²)/(2(sinθ cosθ - 2h cosθ²)), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, R is the range, θ is the initial angle, and h is the initial height.

What are the units for initial velocity when using this formula?

The units for initial velocity when using this formula are meters per second (m/s).

Can the formula be used to find initial velocity in any direction?

Yes, the formula can be used to find initial velocity in any direction as long as the initial angle is known.

What happens if the initial angle is 90 degrees?

If the initial angle is 90 degrees, the formula cannot be used as it would result in a division by zero. In this case, other information such as the time of flight or maximum height would need to be known in order to find the initial velocity.

Are there any limitations to using this formula?

Yes, there are limitations to using this formula as it assumes a perfect projectile motion with no air resistance. In real life scenarios, air resistance and other external factors may affect the initial velocity and trajectory of the object.