1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find initial velocity given distance and angle

1. Jan 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile is fired with initial velocity Vo at an angle of 20° with the horizontal. Determine the required value of Vo if the projectile is to hit point b.
    point b is 3 km away.

2. Relevant equations
    y=(Vy)o t + 1/2 a t^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried isolating time(t) from the above formula which gave me square root of 2y/a but i cant take the square root of a negative number that bring the acceleration

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2014 #2
    Some hints: Draw the diagram and then use the formula. What do you know about the x-distance and y-distance?

4. Jan 14, 2014 #3
    I have to multiply it by cos20 and sin 20

5. Jan 14, 2014 #4
    Hi Tsukuba. Welcome to Physics Forums.

What is the value of y when the projectile reaches the ground again? What is the acceleration "a" in your equation for y? Can you use your equation for y to figure out how much time the projectile is in the air?

Chet

6. Jan 14, 2014 #5
    hello and thank you.

a=-9.81 m/s^2
    I can use the equation because i would have 2 unknowns, that being the initial velocity and time. Like i said I tried isolating time and the formula i get is square root of 2x/a and i cant take the square root of a negative number.

7. Jan 14, 2014 #6
    As I see it, your equation for the y direction is going to be:
    [tex]0=v_0\sin(20)t-\frac{9.8}{2}t^2[/tex]
    Is this in agreement with your assessment? If so, you can solve this equation for t by factoring the right hand side, and discarding the root at t = 0. In terms of v0, what do you get for t?

Chet

8. Jan 14, 2014 #7
    instead of the 0 wouldn't i have the distance of 3km?

9. Jan 14, 2014 #8
    here is the question and the diagram
    mec.png

10. Jan 14, 2014 #9
    We are talking about the y direction here, not the x direction. When the projectile hits the ground, y = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted