Find k if (4,1,k) & (5,1,-3) are perpendicular?

In summary, to find k if two vectors, (4,1,k)τ & (5,1,-3)τ, are perpendicular, you must use the dot-product formula, which states that the cosine of the angle between the two vectors is equal to the dot product of the vectors divided by the product of their magnitudes. Set the angle to 90 degrees and the dot product to 0 to solve for k. If the vectors are parallel, the angle between them is 180 degrees and the cross-product must equal 0.
discy

Homework Statement

Vectors
find k if (4,1,k)τ & (5,1,-3)τ are perpendicular?

From the answer sheet I know the answer is k = 7

Homework Equations

I believe I need these two but I'm not certain:

Dot-product: v*w = v1w1 + v2w2 + ... vdwd
cos θ = v*w / ||v|| * ||w||

The Attempt at a Solution

[STRIKE]Because θ = arccos(v*w / ||v|| * ||w||) = the angle between two vectors. θ should be 90 = perpendicular.

90 = arccos ((4 * 5 + 1 * 1 + k * -3) / √(4²+1²+k²) * √(5²+1²+(-3)²)) =
90 = arccos (21-3k / √(17+k²) * √35)

90 = arccos(21-3k / √(17+k²) * √35)[/STRIKE]

cos(90) = 0 = perpendicular

[itex]\frac{21-3k}{\sqrt{17+k²} * \sqrt{35}} = 0[/itex]

what would be the easiest way to get to k = 7 ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you need is that cos(90)= 0! So that two vectors are perpendicular if and only if their dot product is 0.

ok. so let me reform:

(21-3k) / √(17+k²) * √35 = 0

[itex]\frac{21-3k}{\sqrt{17+k²} * \sqrt{35}} = 0[/itex]

what would be the easiest way to get to k = 7? (when I put 7 as k I get zero, so the equation is correct)

Last edited:
If you already knew that the dot product is 21- 3k, why even use that denominator?

The two vectors are perpendicular if and only if their dot product, 21- 3k= 0. Solve that for k?

[STRIKE]Ow yeah. I'm being stupid.[/STRIKE]

And if two vectors are parallel? [STRIKE]then the angle is, I suppose 180 degrees? What equation would I need to solve in that case?

(i'm sorry, my teacher is very unclear about these things, he puts questions on his sheets but doesn't always give the answers during class)[/STRIKE]

edit: cross-product = 0

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for two vectors to be perpendicular?

Two vectors are perpendicular if they form a 90-degree angle with each other. This means that the dot product of the two vectors is equal to zero.

2. How do you determine if two vectors are perpendicular?

To determine if two vectors are perpendicular, you can calculate their dot product. If the dot product is equal to zero, then the vectors are perpendicular.

3. What is the formula for calculating the dot product of two vectors?

The formula for calculating the dot product of two vectors is:
A * B = (ax * bx) + (ay * by) + (az * bz), where A and B are the two vectors and ax, ay, az and bx, by, bz are their respective x, y, z components.

4. How do you find the value of k in a given equation with two points?

To find the value of k, you can use the formula for the slope of a line:
m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1).
Substitute the values of the two points in the equation and solve for k. If the two points are perpendicular, the slope of the line connecting them will be undefined (or equal to infinity).

5. Can two vectors be perpendicular in more than three dimensions?

Yes, two vectors can be perpendicular in any number of dimensions. The concept of perpendicularity remains the same, but the calculation of the dot product may involve more components in higher dimensions.