Find vectors that are perpendicular & parallel

In summary: To find a vector perpendicular to the plane, you can use the cross product of two vectors in the plane. But since you have only one equation, that won't work here. So you need to find a vector that is orthogonal to the normal of the plane. One simple way to do that is to set x=y=0 and solve the resulting equation for z. You'll get a vector that is orthogonal to the normal. You can then use the cross product of that vector and the normal to obtain a vector that is perpendicular to both the normal and the plane.As for finding a vector parallel to the plane, you can choose any two points on the plane and take the difference of their position vectors. That will give
Painguy

Homework Statement

1)Give a unit vector
a) in the same direction as v=2i +3j
b)Perpendicular to v

2)
a) Find a vector perpendicular to the plane z=2+3x-y
b)Find a vector parallel to the plane

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) a)
Method 1:
u=v/||v|| so i get u=2/√13i + 3/√13j

Method 2:
||u||*||v||cos(θ)=2
arccos(2/√13)=56.31*=θ
||u||=1 so u=cos(56.31)i + sin(56.31)j=2/√13i + 3/√13j

Method 3:
u.v=||v||
(xi + yj).(2i +3j)=√13
2x + 3y=√13

Here i get stuck. How do i do this and is there any other way?

b)
Method 1:
u.v=||u||*||v||cos(θ)=0
1*√13cos(θ)=0

I get stuck here aswell

Method 2: I realized that if i take the angle between v & the x-axis I should get the angle between u and the x-axis so I can take sin and cos of those angles to get the unit vector perpendicular
u=-3/√13i+2/√13j

The reason I'm doing all these ways is because I'm curious of the most efficient and proper way to solve the problem. My class is currently covering dot products and I was expecting it all to be as simple as u.v=(xi + yj).(2i +3j)=√13 or (xi + yj).(2i +3j)=0 then I would solve algebraically, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it that way.

2)
a) I know that the normal vector is orthogonal to the pane so n=-3i+j+k

is there another way to do this?

b)
n.v=||n||*||v||cos(θ)=0
(-3i+j+k).(xi+yj +zk)=0
(-3x +y +z)=0

I get the equation of a similar plane but not the one they originally gave me.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Painguy said:

Homework Statement

1)Give a unit vector
b)Perpendicular to v

2)
a) Find a vector perpendicular to the plane z=2+3x-y
b)Find a vector parallel to the plane

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) a)
Method 1:
u=v/||v|| so i get u=2/√13i + 3/√13j

Method 2:
||u||*||v||cos(θ)=2
arccos(2/√13)=56.31*=θ
||u||=1 so u=cos(56.31)i + sin(56.31)j=2/√13i + 3/√13j

Method 3:
u.v=||v||
(xi + yj).(2i +3j)=√13
2x + 3y=√13

If you rewrite your original equation slightly, you have
$$\vec{u}\cdot \frac{\vec{v}}{\|\vec{v}\|} = 1.$$ Any vector that has a component in the direction of ##\vec{v}## with length 1 will satisfy that equation. You'd need another condition to choose only the vector in the same direction as ##\vec{v}##.

b)
Method 1:
u.v=||u||*||v||cos(θ)=0
1*√13cos(θ)=0

I get stuck here as well.
From here, it follows that ##\theta = \pm 90^\circ##. Not very useful.

Method 2: I realized that if i take the angle between v & the x-axis I should get the angle between u and the x-axis so I can take sin and cos of those angles to get the unit vector perpendicular
u=-3/√13i+2/√13j

The reason I'm doing all these ways is because I'm curious of the most efficient and proper way to solve the problem. My class is currently covering dot products and I was expecting it all to be as simple as u.v=(xi + yj).(2i +3j)=√13 or (xi + yj).(2i +3j)=0 then I would solve algebraically, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it that way.

2)

Do you know about the cross product?

b)
n.v=||n||*||v||cos(θ)=0
(-3i+j+k).(xi+yj +zk)=0
(-3x +y +z)=0

I get the equation of a similar plane but not the one they originally gave me.
If you think about it, you should see there are an infinite number of vectors that are parallel to the plane, so it's no surprise that the equation you ended up with has an infinite number of solutions.

Do you see what the difference is between the plane described by -3x+y+z=0 and the original plane is?

Painguy said:
Method 3:
u.v=||v||
(xi + yj).(2i +3j)=√13
2x + 3y=√13

You got stuck here because for any vector v there are infinitely many vectors whose dot product with v is v. Take any vector u. You can represent it as a sum of t and n, which are orthogonal to each other, and t is parallel with v and n is perpendicular to v. Clearly u.v = t.v. So if t is a unit vector, then you get the desired result no matter what its n component is.

To use this method, you need an additional condition on u: namely, that it is a unit vector!

b)
Method 1:
u.v=||u||*||v||cos(θ)=0
1*√13cos(θ)=0

I get stuck here aswell

The situation is similar here. Now the parallel component must be zero, and the perpendicular component is arbitrary, unless you constrain it with an additional requirement.

2)

If you find two vectors in that plane - can you obtain one perpendicular to them both?

Well the 1st part of the 1st question is asking that vector u be a unit vector which is why i had u.v=||v||.
Painguy said:
1)Give a unit vector
b)Perpendicular to v

I can only think of 1 unit vectors that is in the same direction as v
1) u=2/√13i + 3/√13j

I'm aware that there are infinitely many vectors that are parallel with v since I can just scale v, but in this case I'm trying to figure out an algebraic way of finding a unit vector u in the same direction as v. I suppose that's exactly what I did with method 1 & 2? I guess my mistake in method 3 was that i had u=(xi + yj) thereby implying that it is not a unit vector My mistake :-p

I might be misunderstanding your answers :confused:

I am aware of the cross product, but the rest of the class has not yet been introduced to it.

For the second question regarding parallel vectors to the plane, can I choose any 2 points I want on the plane? For example If i choose points x=3 & y=2 i could plug it into the equation z=2+3x-y & get the 1st point P(3,2,9). Then I could set x=0, y=0 and get Q(0,0,2).
PQ=-3i -2j -7j
Just to check that the above vector is in fact parallel to the plane i take the dot product of PQ with the normal.

PQ.n=(-3)(-3)+(-2)(1)+(-7)(1)=0

Does that seem right?

Painguy said:
Well the 1st part of the 1st question is asking that vector u be a unit vector which is why i had u.v=||v||.

I can only think of 1 unit vectors that is in the same direction as v
1) u=2/√13i + 3/√13j

I'm aware that there are infinitely many vectors that are parallel with v since I can just scale v, but in this case I'm trying to figure out an algebraic way of finding a unit vector u in the same direction as v. I suppose that's exactly what I did with method 1 & 2? I guess my mistake in method 3 was that i had u=(xi + yj) thereby implying that it is not a unit vector My mistake :-p
Oh, I see what you meant. Yes, if you threw in the condition ##x^2+y^2=1##, you'd be able to solve for x and y.

I am aware of the cross product, but the rest of the class has not yet been introduced to it.
If you have two vectors parallel to the plane, their cross product would be perpendicular to the plane. You could also use the dot product to solve for a vector perpendicular to both vectors.

For the second question regarding parallel vectors to the plane, can I choose any 2 points I want on the plane? For example If i choose points x=3 & y=2 i could plug it into the equation z=2+3x-y & get the 1st point P(3,2,9). Then I could set x=0, y=0 and get Q(0,0,2).
PQ=-3i -2j -7j
Just to check that the above vector is in fact parallel to the plane i take the dot product of PQ with the normal.

PQ.n=(-3)(-3)+(-2)(1)+(-7)(1)=0

Does that seem right?
Yes. Did you notice that (-3, -2, -7) is a solution to the equation -3x+y+z=0 you found earlier?

Related to Find vectors that are perpendicular & parallel

What is the difference between perpendicular and parallel vectors?

Perpendicular vectors are two vectors that intersect at a right angle, while parallel vectors are two vectors that have the same direction or are collinear.

How do I determine if two vectors are perpendicular?

To determine if two vectors are perpendicular, you can use the dot product formula: if the dot product of the two vectors is equal to zero, then they are perpendicular.

What is the process for finding parallel vectors?

To find parallel vectors, you can multiply a given vector by a scalar, or a non-zero constant. This will result in a vector that has the same direction as the original vector, but possibly a different magnitude.

Are there any special properties of perpendicular and parallel vectors?

Yes, one of the special properties is that the dot product of two parallel vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes. Additionally, if two vectors are perpendicular, their cross product will be equal to zero.

How can I use perpendicular and parallel vectors in real-life applications?

Perpendicular and parallel vectors are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to represent forces, motion, and other physical quantities. For example, in architecture, parallel vectors can be used to represent the direction of floor joists, while perpendicular vectors can represent the forces acting on a structure.