Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Lambda from this arbitrary triangle

1. Nov 18, 2015 #1
    Folks,

I am puzzled how one obtains equation 3.2.31 based on the schematic as attached! Can you help?
    Is there an online source I can refer to to learn how to obtain angles and magnitudes of complex schematics?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I am still working on this one...
    However, I feel like the secret will be in manipulating the equation you have.
    Edited*
    ##\frac{\sin \psi }{ m - \cos \psi } = \frac{\sin( \pi - \psi) }{ a/p +\cos( \pi - \psi) } = \frac{p\sin( \pi - \psi) }{ a + p \cos ( \pi - \psi) }##
    This should help you visualize the triangle you should be working with for ##\tan \lambda##.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  4. Nov 18, 2015 #3
    Hi, thanks....
    This is as far as I got....see attached.....

Attached Files:

5. Nov 18, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

That looks good. You extension works to give you a solution for lambda. But it doesn't help get to that tan lambda formula you were looking for.

Try to extend the side length a to make a right triangle with hypotenuse of p. Use sin and cos to determine the side lengths.
    Then you can directly get the formula for tangent using the opposite/adjacent of the appropriate right trangle which includes angle lambda.

6. Nov 19, 2015 #5
    Hi RUber,

I have it. The extended segment of "a" which forms a right angled triangle with P is Pcos(pi-psi). The tan of lambda is obvious. Thank you very much.
    I have learned a new way of tacking triangles!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook