1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Magnetic Field Amplitude from EM Wave Amplitude

1. May 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A plane electromagnetic wave propagating in free space has an amplitude ([itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]/2)a[itex]_{y}[/itex]-(1/2)a[itex]_{z}[/itex] V/m. Find the amplitude of the accompanying magnetic field assuiming the frequency of the electric field is 1 GHz.

2. Relevant equations

f[itex]_{E}[/itex] = f[itex]_{H}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{E_{0}}{B_{0}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{ω}{k}[/itex] = c

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the frequency for both the Electric and Magnetic fields are equivalent. Therefore, the magnetic field frequency is also 1 GHz.

However, the question says "electromagnetic wave." This term means the cross product result or E x B right? With that being said, I'm not sure how to obtain the amplitude of the magnetic field if I don't have any info for the electric field.

Or is there some other equation related to the EM wave?

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But you are provided with "info for the electric field": the frequency and the amplitude. What else do you need?

For EM radiation the E and B components have a special relationship.

4. May 2, 2013 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps it was meant the vector amplitude of the electric field.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted