1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find mass of black hole in center of galaxy given eccentricity+

1. Nov 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Astronomers believe that there is a massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy. What evidence is there for that?
    A group of astronomers have observed a star "S2" in a 15.2-year orbit around the center of the galaxy. They measured the period of revolution T = 15.2 years, the eccentricity of the elliptical orbit ε = 0.87, and the semimajor axis of the orbit a = 4.62 mpc. [The unit: mpc = milli-parsec = 0.001 parsec.]

(A) Calculate the mass of the compact object about which S2 is revolving.

2. Relevant equations

sm=semi-minor axis
    sM=semi-major axis

Eccentricity=[itex]\sqrt{1-(sm/sM)^2}[/itex]

Mass=[itex]\frac{4π^2r^3}{GT^2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

If I plug in my values to the eccentricity equation and solve for the semi-minor axis I get 7.031*1010 km. With that I can find r which is the average of the semi-major and semi-minor axis:

r=1.06455*1011 km

Plugging in my knows to the mass equation I get 3.11*10^36 kilograms which is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2013 #2
    Apparently the way I figured out r was incorrect. It should be 1.426 *10^11 km. My answer is now correct!

4. Nov 15, 2013 #3
    Why does the correct mass imply its a black hole? Density from known size?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted