Finding the mass of a super-massive Black Hole?

In summary, the conversation is about a question related to astrophysics and the properties of a star called S2 orbiting a black hole at the center of the Milky Way. The question asks for the mass of the super-massive black hole and its event horizon. The person is having trouble using equations to solve for the mass and is seeking advice on where to post the question.
MarcL
Hi, I am not too sure where to post this. I am studying for my astrophysics final and I came across this question which is pretty easy ( I think) but I can't seem to find the answer...

S2 is observed to be one of the brightest stars orbiting the black hole at the center of Milky Way. It has period of 15 years and orbit of 950 A.U.

a) Find the mass of the super-massive black hole
b)find its event horizon.

I can do b ( can't find the schwarzchild radius without the mass though). For a, I thought of using the relationship of T^2=a^3 to find my semi major axis to then find my mass with M=A^3/P however that didn't work. I'm not too sure what to use anymore.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is a homework-type question. You should post it in the homework section.

MarcL said:
I can do b ( can't find the schwarzchild radius without the mass though). For a, I thought of using the relationship of T^2=a^3 to find my semi major axis to then find my mass with M=A^3/P however that didn't work. I'm not too sure what to use anymore.
Why do you want to use the first equation? Both variables are given in the question. The second equation is incorrect(period should be squared).

Additionally, you're using T in the first, and P in the second, a in the first and A in the second, where each pair means the same thing. It's good to be consistent in notation.

1. How do scientists measure the mass of a super-massive black hole?

The most common method used to measure the mass of a super-massive black hole is through studying the orbits of stars and gas surrounding the black hole. By analyzing the speed and distance of these objects, scientists can calculate the gravitational pull of the black hole and therefore determine its mass.

2. Can the mass of a super-massive black hole change over time?

Yes, the mass of a super-massive black hole can change over time as it continues to accrete matter from its surroundings. As more matter falls into the black hole, its mass increases.

3. What are the units used to measure the mass of a super-massive black hole?

The mass of a super-massive black hole is typically measured in solar masses, which is the mass of our Sun (approximately 2 x 10^30 kilograms). This unit is used because super-massive black holes can have masses equivalent to billions of solar masses.

4. How does the mass of a super-massive black hole affect its surroundings?

The mass of a super-massive black hole has a strong gravitational pull that can affect the orbits of stars and gas in its vicinity. It also plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies, as the black hole's gravity can influence the movement and distribution of stars and gas within the galaxy.

5. Is there a limit to how massive a super-massive black hole can be?

Currently, there is no known limit to how massive a super-massive black hole can be. However, the largest observed super-massive black hole has a mass of approximately 66 billion solar masses. Scientists continue to study and discover new super-massive black holes, so it is possible that even larger ones exist in the universe.