Finding the mass of a super-massive Black Hole?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MarcL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Black hole Hole Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
MarcL
Messages
170
Reaction score
2
Hi, I am not too sure where to post this. I am studying for my astrophysics final and I came across this question which is pretty easy ( I think) but I can't seem to find the answer...

S2 is observed to be one of the brightest stars orbiting the black hole at the center of Milky Way. It has period of 15 years and orbit of 950 A.U.

a) Find the mass of the super-massive black hole
b)find its event horizon.

I can do b ( can't find the schwarzchild radius without the mass though). For a, I thought of using the relationship of T^2=a^3 to find my semi major axis to then find my mass with M=A^3/P however that didn't work. I'm not too sure what to use anymore.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is a homework-type question. You should post it in the homework section.

MarcL said:
I can do b ( can't find the schwarzchild radius without the mass though). For a, I thought of using the relationship of T^2=a^3 to find my semi major axis to then find my mass with M=A^3/P however that didn't work. I'm not too sure what to use anymore.
Why do you want to use the first equation? Both variables are given in the question. The second equation is incorrect(period should be squared).

Additionally, you're using T in the first, and P in the second, a in the first and A in the second, where each pair means the same thing. It's good to be consistent in notation.