1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find maximum thrust of a rocket blasting off

1. Oct 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2.49×104-kg rocket blasts off vertically from the earth's surface with a constant acceleration. During the motion considered in the problem, assume thatg remains constant. Inside the rocket, a 14.5-N instrument hangs from a wire that can support a maximum tension of 37.3 N .

I found that :

Acceleration = 15.42 m/s^2

Find the minimum time for this rocket to reach the sound barrier (330m/s) without breaking the inside wire.

The answer to this was 21.4 .

How far is the rocket above the earth's surface when it breaks the sound barrier?
    3530 m.

Now I have to find the maximum vertical thrust of the rocket engines under these conditions.

2. Relevant equations
    I tried using F=ma and some basic kinematics.

3. The attempt at a solution

Using F=ma...
    i tried F=(2.49x10^4) * 15.42 . This wasn't correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2015 #2

Titan97

Gold Member

Tension acts on the instrument and on the rocket. (Downwards on rocket and upwards on the instrument) Let acceleration of rocket be ##a##. Since the string is inextensible, the instrument will also have same acceleration. Write newtons law equation for both rocket and instrument.

4. Oct 16, 2015 #3
    Is this the net force on the rocket or the thrust force?

5. Oct 16, 2015 #4
    Well it's a vertical launch..So wouldn't it be the same thing? the only component is in the y direction.. I don't really understand thrust that well. I think it's something like thrust comes out the bottom of the rocket and propels it upwards so the thrust acts upwards? I really don't know

6. Oct 16, 2015 #5
    What do you mean?
    So for the rocket it would be F=(2.49x10^4) * 15.42
    For the instrument.. F=(14.5N/9.81) * 15.42 ? Now what?

7. Oct 16, 2015 #6
    Thrust is the exhaust gas pushing upward on the rocket. Gravitational force (weight) is Earth pulling downward on the rocket.

8. Oct 16, 2015 #7
    So weight would be the mass times 9.8. But i did mass * acceleration..Okay.. so should I find weight of the rocket and subtract that from the upward thrust?

9. Oct 18, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

To get the net force, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted