1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find minimum force to tip block

1. Nov 21, 2006 #1
    A force F applied at point A is just large enough to tip over a block of mass M. The block will rotate about its bottom right corner. Find the magnitude of F.

The picture for this is problem 13 at this link http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=128765607&imageID=1460084048

The know that torque is force x radius, and the radius here is L.
    The correct answer is MgL/2H, so I suspect that gravity somehow plays a role in this. However, I don't know what to do. How is this horizontal force F be related to gravity? Where does the 2H come from?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2
    Could you draw where the gravity acts on the block? And thus make a FBD

4. Nov 21, 2006 #3
    I would have mg pointing down from the center of the block and N pointing up. I would also have friction pointing to the left. The distance between the center and the rotational axis is H. However, why do we multiply this mg by L when L is the horizontal distance. Does this have anything to do with friction, but I don't see mu in the answer. I know that normal force is equal to mg, but I don't know if that will help. When looking at torque, shouldn't I have F*L = mg*H and then have F = mg*H/L. However, this is not right.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  5. Nov 21, 2006 #4
    Because what you are interested is the perpendicular distance. The vector L is perpendicular to the force mg, thus the torque mg applies is mg*L/2

What is the torque that the force F creates? force * perpendicular distance

6. Nov 21, 2006 #5
    Oh I see now. Thanks very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?