1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find minimum force to raise wheel

1. Nov 21, 2006 #1
    What minimum force F applied horizontally at the axle of the wheel is necessary to raise the wheel of mass M and radius R over a step of height H. A picture for this is at

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=128765607&imageID=1460005538

The answer key says that the correct answer is F =[mg*SQRT(2RH-H^2)]/r-h

I know that mg is gravity so the force of gravity plays a role here. I don't know the direction of friction because F is pointing right, but the object also rotates clockwise. Friction would resist the sliding but would contribute to the rotation.

I know torque is the cross product of R and F. I have no idea though why we have SQRT(2RH-H^2). I don't know what to do. Am I suppose to work with torque somehow?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Take moment about the contact point, and use a force with unknown direction for the reaction at the contact point.

4. Nov 21, 2006 #3
    I am not sure about this...is the moment of inertia with respect to the contact point MR^2 + R^2 with the parallel axis theorem? I know that whatever force the wheel pushes against the contact point, the same force will push the wheel back. But I am not sure about how to find that force for the reaction.

5. Nov 21, 2006 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

By moment, i meant sum of torque, and consider Normal force = 0.

6. Nov 21, 2006 #5
    With net torque, I have mg*R + F(R-H).

So F = mg*R/(R-H)

From the way it seems, I got the F(R-H) part right, but mg*R is still not quite right. HOw do I get SQRT(2RH-H^2)?

7. Nov 21, 2006 #6

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Your lever arm for the weight is wrong, REMEMBER THE LEVER ARM IS PERPENDICULAR TO THE LINE OF ACTION OF THE FORCE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?