Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find minimum work

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    I have been trying this problem multiple times but it still says i'm wrong:

What is the minimum work needed to push a 800 kg car 930 m up along a 9.0^\circ incline?

i'm using the formula:
    W= Fdcos(theta)
    F= mg

what am i doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi cmed07! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a degree: º :wink:)

First, what is the minimum possible value of F?

4. Mar 2, 2010 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are a couple of ways to approach this. One way is to calculate the component of force (gravity) along (ie. parallel to) the [tex]9.0^\circ[/tex] inclined surface and multiply that force by the distance (930 m). The simpler way would be to determine the height increase over that 930 m and the resulting change in gravitational potential energy of the car. The work is equal to the change in gravitational potential energy.

AM

5. Mar 2, 2010 #4
    Re: Welcome to PF!

That's all the information that was given to me... I know i'm supposed to find force by multiplying the mass and gravity...but i think the number i'm getting after i put it into the work formula is too big...

6. Mar 3, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

D'oh! :rolleyes:

On the information that was given to you, what is the minimum possible value of F? :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook