1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find minimum work

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    I have been trying this problem multiple times but it still says i'm wrong:

What is the minimum work needed to push a 800 kg car 930 m up along a 9.0^\circ incline?

i'm using the formula:
    W= Fdcos(theta)
    F= mg

what am i doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi cmed07! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a degree: º :wink:)

First, what is the minimum possible value of F?

4. Mar 2, 2010 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are a couple of ways to approach this. One way is to calculate the component of force (gravity) along (ie. parallel to) the [tex]9.0^\circ[/tex] inclined surface and multiply that force by the distance (930 m). The simpler way would be to determine the height increase over that 930 m and the resulting change in gravitational potential energy of the car. The work is equal to the change in gravitational potential energy.

AM

5. Mar 2, 2010 #4
    Re: Welcome to PF!

That's all the information that was given to me... I know i'm supposed to find force by multiplying the mass and gravity...but i think the number i'm getting after i put it into the work formula is too big...

6. Mar 3, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

D'oh! :rolleyes:

On the information that was given to you, what is the minimum possible value of F? :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook