Find new location -- 2-wheeled car/robot

In summary, you would need a way to track the wheel rotation and account for it in your algorithm for navigation.
TimurPlusPlus
Hello, everyone!
Now I'm trying to develop 2 wheels robot, which travels along the line simulator.
The robot can turn only by increasing velocities of each wheel.

The conditions are below:
- I know velocities of 2 wheels
- I know radius between wheels

The task is next:
How to find new location of the robot, if it has L_wheel_v = 3 km/h and R_wheel_v = 10 km/h, radius = 3 m, for example.

Engineering news on Phys.org
TimurPlusPlus said:
Hello, everyone!
Now I'm trying to develop 2 wheels robot, which travels along the line simulator.
The robot can turn only by increasing velocities of each wheel.

The task is next:
How to find new location of the robot, if it has L_wheel_v = 3 km/h and R_wheel_v = 10 km/h, radius = 3 m, for example.
Welcome to the PF.

Can you show us your work on these equations? They are pretty straightforward, so you should be able to show us your sketches and your work so far.

Also, how are you going to stabilize your 2-wheeled robot? Will you use some gyroscopic stabilization scheme like for the Segway?

https://selfbalancingscooters.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/41.jpg
41.jpg

TimurPlusPlus said:
Using velocity will get confusing. Instead put a shaft encoder on each wheel.
Incremental-Rotary-Encoders with 360 or 600 cycles of two phase AB code per revolution are cheap.
Keep track of wheel rotation by counting pulses up and down as the wheels rotate forward and backward.
The sum of the two wheel counters will give you the distance travelled.
The difference of the wheel counts will give you the direction it is now facing.
You can track it and navigate by summing the step movement vectors as it travels.

If you are trying to turn the robot while maintaining a forward rotation on both wheels then a virtual center of rotation can be determined by using the same data; however, in this case there is going to be a calculated vs. actual track issue that will affect the accuracy of the robot's actual subsequent position vs the calculated one. This type of error is going to be accumulative through multiple turns and therefore can result in a significant accumulated robot location error if not verified at some points by an independent position reference input and corrected.
If you are designing a toy to run around a relatively large space this may not be a issue but if the robot's application is a more functional one then it could be an issue.

1. How does the 2-wheeled car/robot find a new location?

The 2-wheeled car/robot uses a combination of sensors, such as GPS, LIDAR, and cameras, to detect its surroundings and determine its current location. It then uses algorithms and programming to plan a route to the desired new location.

2. Is the 2-wheeled car/robot able to navigate obstacles in its path?

Yes, the car/robot is equipped with obstacle detection and avoidance technology. It can detect obstacles using its sensors and adjust its route accordingly to avoid collisions.

3. How accurate is the 2-wheeled car/robot's navigation?

The accuracy of the car/robot's navigation depends on the quality of its sensors and the algorithms used for planning its route. With advanced sensors and precise programming, the car/robot can achieve high levels of accuracy in its navigation.

4. Can the 2-wheeled car/robot adapt to changes in its environment?

Yes, the car/robot is designed to be adaptable to changes in its environment. It can re-scan its surroundings and adjust its route accordingly if there are any unexpected obstacles or changes in the terrain.

5. How is the 2-wheeled car/robot powered?

The car/robot is powered by a battery or a combination of batteries, depending on its size and capabilities. It may also have the ability to recharge itself through solar panels or other alternative energy sources.