1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Finding Moment of Inertia of a wheel experimentally

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    Hello all, and forgive me if I'm making newbie mistakes as I haven't posted here much.

I realize this appears to be a homework assignment, but it is not. I am trying to develop an easy method for determining the actual moment of inertia for real wheels, for bicycles and other vehicles. I googled the topic and many related results came up, but not explicitly for finding the MOI with a simple formula.

I believe I have the correct formula, but I need confirmation from more knowledgeable people. I made a pdf file summarizing the problem including a drawing. I hope the link works.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/loudfiles/MomentOfInertiaWheel_TEMP.pdf

All of the quantities are constant, as in not varying with time.
    I neglect friction, but realize it can be a significant factor on a real wheel if not dealt with properly.

In case the link doesn't work, here is what I have:
    A wheel of radius R is mounted with its axle horizontal.
    A string is attached, and wrapped around the perimeter of the wheel (at radius R distance from the center).
    The free end of the string is attached to a free-weight of mass M.
    The free weight is allowed to fall a distance H, vertically, which accelerates the wheel.
    The time it takes the weight to travel H is time t1.
    g is the acceleration of gravity.

The MOI = ( (g t12 / 2 H) - 1 ) M R2

Can someone please confirm that for me? Thank you very much for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2016 #2
    I forgot this can probably also be done using energy equations, so I forgive me, as that would have been a way I could check my results. If someone has that solution handy, that would be great as well. I will attempt that, but it will likely take me some time to brush up on those equations/concepts.

4. Oct 5, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps see ...

5. Oct 6, 2016 #4
    Thanks. That does at least confirm the relationship of I to a.

6. Oct 8, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You might be able to devise a way to take into account friction in your calculation of MOI.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted