Finding Moment of Inertia of a wheel experimentally

In summary, the author is looking for a way to determine the moment of inertia for a real wheel, and has found a formula that works if all the quantities are constant. However, he is unsure if friction is taken into account, and is looking for someone who can help him with that.
Loudhvx
Hello all, and forgive me if I'm making newbie mistakes as I haven't posted here much.

I realize this appears to be a homework assignment, but it is not. I am trying to develop an easy method for determining the actual moment of inertia for real wheels, for bicycles and other vehicles. I googled the topic and many related results came up, but not explicitly for finding the MOI with a simple formula.

I believe I have the correct formula, but I need confirmation from more knowledgeable people. I made a pdf file summarizing the problem including a drawing. I hope the link works.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/loudfiles/MomentOfInertiaWheel_TEMP.pdf

All of the quantities are constant, as in not varying with time.
I neglect friction, but realize it can be a significant factor on a real wheel if not dealt with properly.

In case the link doesn't work, here is what I have:
A wheel of radius R is mounted with its axle horizontal.
A string is attached, and wrapped around the perimeter of the wheel (at radius R distance from the center).
The free end of the string is attached to a free-weight of mass M.
The free weight is allowed to fall a distance H, vertically, which accelerates the wheel.
The time it takes the weight to travel H is time t1.
g is the acceleration of gravity.

The MOI = ( (g t12 / 2 H) - 1 ) M R2

Can someone please confirm that for me? Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot this can probably also be done using energy equations, so I forgive me, as that would have been a way I could check my results. If someone has that solution handy, that would be great as well. I will attempt that, but it will likely take me some time to brush up on those equations/concepts.

Perhaps see ...

Thanks. That does at least confirm the relationship of I to a.

You might be able to devise a way to take into account friction in your calculation of MOI.

1. What is the purpose of finding the moment of inertia of a wheel experimentally?

The moment of inertia of a wheel is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is an important parameter for designing and understanding the behavior of rotating systems, such as wheels on a vehicle or a flywheel in an engine.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a wheel measured experimentally?

To measure the moment of inertia of a wheel experimentally, the wheel is set into rotational motion and its angular acceleration is measured using a sensor. The force applied to the wheel and its radius are also measured, and these values are used in the equation for moment of inertia to calculate the experimental value.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the moment of inertia measurement?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the moment of inertia measurement include friction in the axle of the wheel, imbalances in the wheel, and air resistance. These can cause errors in the calculated value and may need to be accounted for in the experimental setup.

4. How can the moment of inertia of a wheel be used in practical applications?

The moment of inertia of a wheel is an important parameter in engineering and physics applications. It is used in designing and analyzing rotational systems, such as wheels in vehicles, turbines, and gyroscopes. It is also used in calculations of torque and angular momentum.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the moment of inertia of a wheel experimentally?

One limitation is that the experimental setup may not perfectly represent real-world conditions, which can affect the accuracy of the measurement. Additionally, the shape and mass distribution of the wheel may not be uniform, leading to variations in the measured moment of inertia. It is important to carefully design and control the experimental setup to minimize these limitations.