1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FInd non-zero elements are primitive in a field

1. Jun 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Construct $\mathbb{F}_{16}$ as a quotient of $\mathbb{Z}_2[X]$. How many non-zero elements are primitive in this field? Calculate $|GL2_(\mathbb{F}_16)|$.

2. Relevant equations

Primitive Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first question, I don't know how to construct $\mathbb{F}_{16}$ as a quotient of $\mathbb{Z}_2[X]$. My guess is $\mathbb{Z}_2[X]/p(x)$ where $p(x)$ is not in $\mathbb{Z}_2[X]$.

And the second part which should be 16^4-16^3

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2015 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 3, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Right, you will have to construct ##\mathbb{F}_{16}## as ##\mathbb{Z}_2[X]/(p(x))## for some polynomial. Now there are two essential facts:

1) The quotient will have to be a field
    2) The quotient will have to have 16 elements.

Which conditions on ##p(x)## will guarantee this?

5. Jun 3, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If ##p(x)## is not in ##\mathbb{Z}_2[X]##, then the quotient makes no sense. So that is not correct.

6. Jun 3, 2015 #5
    P (x) would be a maximal ideal and irreducible, I think x^3-x-1

7. Jun 3, 2015 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

##p(x)## is just a polynomial, and a polynomial being a maximal ideal makes no sense. You are correct that ##p(x)## will have to be irreducible. Indeed, if ##p(x)## is irreducible, then

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[X]/(p(x))[/tex]

will be a field, which is what you want. But you also want the field to have ##16## elements, under what conditions on ##p(x)## will that happen?

That is not correct.

8. Jun 3, 2015 #7
    x^2-2,
    If I didn't make mistakes, p (x)=x^2 - 3

9. Jun 3, 2015 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you stop guessing and actually think about it? In either case, if you put up a proposal, at least try to motivate it and say why it is true.

10. Jun 3, 2015 #9
    P (x)=x^4+1, we have p (0) mod 2 =1 and p (1)=2 which show p (x) is irreducible in Z_2, hence F_16 isomorphic with Z_2 [x]/p (x)

11. Jun 3, 2015 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

First of all, ##p(1) = 0## since ##2=0## in ##\mathbb{Z}_2##.
    Second of all, saying that the polynomials ##p(x)## has no roots in ##\mathbb{Z}_2## is not at all the same as saying that it is irreducible.
    Third of all, even if ##p(x)## were irreducible, that would only show that ##\mathbb{Z}_2[X]/(p(X))## is a field, you still need to find an argument for why it has ##16## elements.
    Fourth of all, ##\mathbb{Z}_2[X]/p(X)## makes no sense. You cannot quotient out an element of ##\mathbb{Z}_2[X]##, you can only quotient out an ideal.

12. Jun 3, 2015 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, but I was having difficulty reading the OP, so here it is with readable Latex:
    Construct ##\ \mathbb{F}_{16}\ ## as a quotient of ##\ \mathbb{Z}_2[X]\ .\ ## How many non-zero elements are primitive in this field? Calculate ##\ |GL2_{({{\mathbb{F}}_{16}})}|\ ## .

2. Relevant equations
    Primitive Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first question, I don't know how to construct ##\ \mathbb{F}_{16}\ ## as a quotient of ##\ \mathbb{Z}_2[X]\ ##. My guess is ##\ \mathbb{Z}_2[X]/p(x)\ ## where ##\ p(x)\ ## is not in ##\ \mathbb{Z}_2[X]\ ##.

... and there it is.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted