Find out where an object is going to land

• Thread starter Bman900
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's attempt to find the landing position of an object in a 2d space while taking into account the object's position, velocity, and gravity. They mention that time is not a factor as it is recalculated every frame for a game. The speaker also mentions a formula they have at home but it is not accurate, and suggests using the formulae provided on a website about projectile motion.
Bman900
I have a formula at home that I tried but its not working to well so no use in posting it here. Anyway the idea is I have a 2d space and I hit an object. I have access to this objects position in space and velocity, also the gravity that acts upon this object. Time should not be a factor as I recalculate this every frame (its for a game). I am looking for the x position where it will land, while the y = 0;

If need be, I will post my formula from home later but again it gives me very inaccurate answers.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do you calculate where an object will land?

The trajectory of an object can be calculated using the laws of physics, specifically the laws of motion and gravity. By determining the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance, the landing point of an object can be predicted.

2. What factors affect where an object will land?

The main factors that affect where an object will land include its initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and any external forces acting on the object, such as wind or other objects. The mass and shape of the object can also play a role.

3. Can you predict where a falling object will land without a calculator?

It is possible to make an estimate of where a falling object will land without using a calculator, but it will not be as precise as using mathematical calculations. Observing the object's initial velocity and trajectory can give a general idea of where it will land.

4. Why is it important to know where an object will land?

Knowing where an object will land can help prevent potential hazards or accidents. For example, in activities such as skydiving or launching projectiles, predicting the landing point can ensure the safety of individuals and surrounding areas.

5. How accurate are calculations in predicting where an object will land?

The accuracy of calculations in predicting where an object will land depends on the accuracy of the initial data and the complexity of the situation. In ideal conditions, such as in a vacuum, the calculations can be very accurate. However, in real-world scenarios with factors like air resistance and external forces, there may be some margin of error.