Find P[X>Y | X<2Y] of iid variables

• Thread starter jenuine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the probability that X is greater than Y given that X is less than 2Y. To solve this, conditional probability must be used. It is suggested to sketch the regions of interest on the xy plane to better understand the integration needed.
jenuine
Let X and Y be independent exponentially distributed random variables, each with mean 1. Find P[X>Y|X<2Y]

I know I must use conditional probability, but I can't simplify it enough to integrate.

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to show a bit more work. Keep in mind, we don't know you. None of us knows what you know and what you don't know. So even if what you've done so far seems trivial to you, you should explain what you've tried and where you're getting stuck.

For this problem, I suggest you sketch the regions of interest on the xy plane. That usually helps in seeing exactly what you need to integrate.

What does P[X>Y | X<2Y] mean?

P[X>Y | X<2Y] refers to the conditional probability that X is greater than Y given that X is less than twice Y. In other words, it is the probability of X being greater than Y, given that X is in a certain range relative to Y.

What do iid variables mean?

iid stands for independent and identically distributed. This means that the variables X and Y are independent of each other and have the same probability distribution. This allows for certain simplifications and assumptions to be made in statistical calculations.

How is P[X>Y | X<2Y] calculated?

The conditional probability P[X>Y | X<2Y] can be calculated using the formula P[X>Y | X<2Y] = P[(X>Y) and (X<2Y)] / P[X<2Y]. This involves finding the probability of both events occurring and dividing it by the probability of X being less than 2Y.

What happens if X and Y are not iid variables?

If X and Y are not iid variables, then the calculation of P[X>Y | X<2Y] becomes more complex. The simplifications and assumptions that can be made with iid variables may not apply, and a different approach may be needed to calculate the conditional probability.

What is the significance of finding P[X>Y | X<2Y] of iid variables?

The calculation of P[X>Y | X<2Y] of iid variables has practical applications in various fields such as finance, engineering, and biology. It allows for the prediction of certain outcomes based on the relationship between two variables and can inform decision-making in these areas.