Find P_300 Given P_299: Initial State Vector Homework

In summary, the problem asks to find the state vector at time t=300 given the initial vector P0 is not given but the state vector at t=299 is given as P_299=[.1 .1 .8]. The transition matrix T is also given as [.3 .4 .3; .5 0 .5; .5 .5 0]. The solution can be found by multiplying P_299 by T, giving the state vector at time t=300 as P_300 = [.4 .05 .55].
alexcc17

Homework Statement

Suppose that the initial vector P0 is not given and instead we are given that at time t=299 the state vector is P_299=[.1 .1 .8].
Than find P_300, the state vector at time t=300

Homework Equations

I also know from the problem it is referencing that the transition matrix is:

[.3 .4 .3]
T= [.5 0 .5]
[.5 .5 0]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would just set up the equation as such:

P_299=P0 * T^299

and just take the inverse of T^299 and multiply it by P_299 to get the P0, then use that to find P_300, but my graphing calculator won't even calculate the 299th power of the transition matrix, so there must be another way to do this.

Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any need to worry about P0. T describes how the state changes from one timestamp to the next, right? And you know the state at time 299. And you want the state at time 300? Either I'm missing some subtlety or you are missing the obvious.

Would it just be p_299*T to get p_300?

Yes, that's what an exponent means isn't it? T300v= T(T299v)

Wasn't sure if that applied to matrices. Thanks

Related to Find P_300 Given P_299: Initial State Vector Homework

1. What is the purpose of the "Find P_300 Given P_299" homework assignment?

The purpose of this homework assignment is to practice using the concept of initial state vectors in order to predict the value of P_300 given the value of P_299. This is a common problem in the field of data analysis and can be applied in various scientific and mathematical disciplines.

2. Why is the value of P_299 important in this assignment?

The value of P_299 serves as the initial state vector in the problem, meaning it is the starting point for predicting the value of P_300. Without this value, it is impossible to accurately calculate P_300.

3. What methods can be used to find P_300 given P_299?

There are multiple methods that can be used to find P_300 given P_299, such as using mathematical equations, data analysis software, or programming languages. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific problem and the resources available.

4. Can this concept be applied to other types of data or variables?

Yes, the concept of initial state vectors can be applied to a wide range of data and variables in various fields of study. It is commonly used in statistics, physics, engineering, and other scientific disciplines.

5. How can I check the accuracy of my predicted value for P_300?

The accuracy of your predicted value for P_300 can be checked by comparing it to the actual value, if it is known. If the actual value is not known, you can use other methods such as cross-validation or statistical analysis to assess the accuracy of your prediction.