1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find perpendicular vectors and angles

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm awful with vectors. I know the dot product rule and the uses to find perpendicular vectors and angles. I know about multiplying vectors (a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3). I know vector arithmetic.

But i cant do:

r = 8i + 12j + 14k + t(i + j - k)

where t is a parameter

The point A has co-ordinates (4,8,a), where a is a constant. The point B has co-ordinates (b,13,13), where b is a constant. Points A and B lie on the line l1.

a) Find the values a and b

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well i presume i need to find the parameter t first... how? I dont have enough information do i?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Can't do what?

What line? And what does this have to do with r above?

4. Nov 28, 2008 #3
    sorry the question is

The line l1 has vector equation:

r = 8i + 12j + 14k + t(i + j - k)

where t is a parameter

The point A has co-ordinates (4,8,a), where a is a constant. The point B has co-ordinates (b,13,13), where b is a constant. Points A and B lie on the line l1.

a) Find the values a and b

5. Nov 28, 2008 #4

Doc Al

My bad. (I realized what you meant shortly after I posted.)

Think of it this way: All points on that line must satisfy the parametric equations:
    x = 8 + t
    y = 12 + t
    z = 14 - t
    (where t is just a parameter that takes on all real values.)

Since points A and B are on that line, they must satisfy those three equations. See what you can deduce from that. Hint: Start by finding the value of the parameter t for each point. (You have all the information needed.)

6. Nov 29, 2008 #5
    4 = 8 + t
    8 = 12 + t
    a = 14 + t

b = 8 + t
    13 = 12 + t
    13 = 14 + t

point a t = -4
    point b t = 9

a = 18, b = 9

Okay cheeers :)

Next question:

Given that point O is the origin, and that the point P lies on l1 such that OP is perpendicular to l1

b) Find the coordinates of P

i've sketched a graph of it. using the dot product rule, a.b =0 (0 as it's cos(90))

so does that mean vector a x vector b = 0?

Where exactly now?

7. Nov 30, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Sorry for the delay--I forgot that you had a second question.

No. The cross product will not be zero, only the dot product.

Call the point P (x, y, z). Thus the vector OP is (x, y, z). That point must satisfy two conditions:
    (1) The vector OP must be perpendicular to the line, thus its dot product with a vector parallel to the line must be zero. (Find a vector parallel to the line--any one will do.)
    (2) The point P must be on line, thus satisfy the same parametric equations from before. (Solve for t.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?