1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find product kinetic energies in (α,γ) reaction

1. Apr 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

5.5 MeV alphas hit Be-9 and produce carbon with a gamma. the Q value is 10.65

I have to find the kinetic energy of the carbon nucleus and the gamma and im to ignore the gamma ray momentum.

2. Relevant equations
    T = p^2 / 2*m
    Q = T_be + T_alpha - T_c - T_gam

3. The attempt at a solution

Momentum is conserved and I'm told to ignore the gammas momentum so I calculated the alpha momentum to be 202.56 MeV/c then used that as the carbon momentum and rearranged to find the kinetic energy as 1.7 MeV.

Then using the Q equation i rearranged to find T_gam but end up with -6.85 which doesn't work so I'm a little stuck now.

Thanks

edit: realised i had the equation the wrong way round and it should be Q = T_c + T_gam - T_alph

think it makes sense now

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That's how I interpreted the Q-value as well.
    You can also check the masses of the nuclei to be sure, but the reaction certainly releases energy. C-12 is a very tightly bound nucleus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted