Find Real Value of sin(i) Without i

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter TheCanadian
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
TheCanadian
Messages
361
Reaction score
13
I am calculating a value and want to find the real value of sin(i). I can use series expansion and only take the terms without i (correct?) but is there any nicer way to express the result of taking the real value of sin(i)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:

I used the imaginary exponentials and found ## \sin(i) = \frac{e^{-1} - e}{2i} ## but this seems purely imaginary...from the sum expansion of sin, it appeared that there were real values for the even power terms. Any advice you have for addressing what I am missing here since I'm looking for the real value would be great!
 
Indeed, ##\sin(i)## is purely imaginary. If you look at the series expansion of ##\sin(i)##, you'll see that only ##i^{\text{odd power}}## appear in this expansion. And as you know, ##i^{\text{odd power}} = \pm i##.