Find System of 2 Equations in 2 Vars for x=t, y=3t-4

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
bbdynamite
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find a system of two equations in two variables, x and y, that has the solution set given by the parametric representation x=t and y=3t-4, where t is any real number.


Homework Equations


x=t and y=3t-4, where t is any real number


The Attempt at a Solution


y=3x-4 which means that x=(y+4)*1/3. But that is still only one equation and I can't figure out what the other one is. If there are two equations with two unknowns, couldn't the solutions be precise numbers? Since the solution given is parametric, I think there is only one equation in two variables. However, this does not satisfy the question's requirements. What is going on?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bbdynamite said:

Homework Statement


Find a system of two equations in two variables, x and y, that has the solution set given by the parametric representation x=t and y=3t-4, where t is any real number.

Homework Equations


x=t and y=3t-4, where t is any real number

The Attempt at a Solution


y=3x-4 which means that x=(y+4)*1/3. But that is still only one equation and I can't figure out what the other one is. If there are two equations with two unknowns, couldn't the solutions be precise numbers? Since the solution given is parametric, I think there is only one equation in two variables. However, this does not satisfy the question's requirements. What is going on?

I agree with you. It's probably just a mistake in the problem. If you want a second equation you could always suggest something like x=x or something else redundant. But that's pretty pointless.
 
Two independent equations in x and y will necessarily have a unique solution, not an infinite set of equations as you are given. Yes, x and y must satisfy y= 3x- 4 which I would write as 3x- y= 4. A second equation must be a multiple of that, say, 9x- 3y= 12.