Find tangential velocity given radius and the coefficient of friction

In summary, the individual attempted to find the velocity by equating the centripetal force to the normal force directed towards the center of rotation. However, this approach yielded an incorrect solution and the individual was unsure of their misunderstandings. After receiving feedback, they realized that the normal force must be calculated using the frictional forces opposing gravity. This led to the correct solution by equating the normal force to the centripetal force equation.
Send-Help
Homework Statement
A student is in a giant trash can which is set on top of a revolving plate. The coefficient of friction between the student and the wall is 0.32, and the can has a radius of 10m. The can is set turning and the floor drops out. How can I find the tangential velocity of the can needed for the student to "stick" to the wall?
Relevant Equations
Fc = (mv^2)/r, Fn = mg, Ff = Mu (Fn)
I have attempted to solve for the velocity by setting the centripetal force (mv2)/r to the normal force pointed to the center of rotation (mg). This approach seems to give the incorrect solution and I am unsure of my misunderstandings.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Can you post your working? Your method looks correct.

Send-Help said:
I have attempted to solve for the velocity by setting the centripetal force (mv2)/r to the normal force pointed to the center of rotation (mg). This approach seems to give the incorrect solution and I am unsure of my misunderstandings.
The normal force is horizontal. Gravity is vertical.

Likes PeroK
Thank you for all the replies. I realized the normal force (also the force making up the centripetal force) cannot simply be accounted for by (mg) but has to be calculated from the frictional forces opposing the force of gravity. This means that (Mu*Fn = mg) which gives Fn=(mg)/Mu; This can be set equal to the centripetal force equation and the correct answer could then be found.

1. What is tangential velocity?

Tangential velocity is the velocity of an object along its circular path. It is the component of the object's velocity that is perpendicular to the radius of the circle at any given point.

2. How is tangential velocity related to radius and coefficient of friction?

The tangential velocity is directly proportional to the radius of the circle and inversely proportional to the coefficient of friction. This means that as the radius increases, the tangential velocity also increases, while an increase in the coefficient of friction will decrease the tangential velocity.

3. What is the formula for calculating tangential velocity given radius and coefficient of friction?

The formula for calculating tangential velocity is v = √(µ * g * r), where µ is the coefficient of friction, g is the gravitational acceleration, and r is the radius of the circle.

4. Can tangential velocity be negative?

Yes, tangential velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the radius vector, which would mean it is moving in a clockwise direction on the circle.

5. How does tangential velocity affect the motion of an object?

Tangential velocity affects the motion of an object by determining its speed and direction along a circular path. A higher tangential velocity means the object is moving faster, while a lower tangential velocity means the object is moving slower. The direction of the tangential velocity also affects the direction of the object's motion along the circle.