Investigation regarding the rotor ride

  • #1
Inaaya
4
0
Homework Statement
I would like some possible module 5 topics that I can investigate for the rotor at Luna Park that don't require an independent variable.
Relevant Equations
Fc=mv^2/r
So far some of the topics I can think of are Investigating how angular velocity affects the centripetal force experienced by riders on the rotor or the coefficient of friction required to pin the rider to the wall.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
I have so many fond memories of Luna Park. Moonlight, cotton candy, and you know... :wink:

What in thee hell are you asking about?
 
  • Like
Likes nasu
  • #3
berkeman said:
I have so many fond memories of Luna Park. Moonlight, cotton candy, and you know... :wink:

What in thee hell are you asking about?
I would like some module 5 topics that I can investigate for the rotor at Luna Park that don't require an independent variable.
 
  • #4
I only have Module 6 topics from Wally World. Would that help?
 
  • Like
Likes Chestermiller and nasu
  • #5
I am deducing that there is a park somewhere (within 250,000 miles) named Luna Park and that it has a Rotor ride - the one that pins people to the wall.

What is a "Module 5"? Your usage of the term makes me guess maybe some sort of school grade level or study level?

Explain what you want to do with this information that members will surely scramble to get for you.

And finally, but most importantly, what have you come up with yourself?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes Chestermiller
  • #6
The last time I rode one of these I came away with not so fond memories. The coefficient of static friction between my shirt and the cylindrical surface was adequate but not the coefficient of static friction between my bare back and my shirt. So I slid down whist my shirt went over and around my head. It was quite an experience.

What is this "no independent variable" constraint? I don't understand what you are trying to do.

 
  • #7
DaveC426913 said:
I am deducing that there is a park somewhere (within 250,000 miles) named Luna Park and that it has a Rotor ride - the one that pins people to the wall.

What is a "Module 5"? Your usage of the term makes me guess maybe some sort of school grade level or study level?

Explain what you want to do with this information that members will surely scramble to get for you.

And finally, but most importantly, what have you come up with yourself?
Module 5 physics topics that can be investigated for the rotor ride at Luna Park for a project and so far I have come up with analysing the angular velocity of the rotor but I need more ideas on how to elaborate.
 
  • #8
kuruman said:
The last time I rode one of these I came away with not so fond memories. The coefficient of static friction between my shirt and the cylindrical surface was adequate but not the coefficient of static friction between my bare back and my shirt. So I slid down whist my shirt went over and around my head. It was quite an experience.

What is this "no independent variable" constraint? I don't understand what you are trying to do.


We can't have an independent variable for our project because we can't change anything on the rotor.
 
  • #9
Sometimes the experimental subjects are stuck to the wall.
Sometimes they are sliding down the wall.

Can you figure out what in their environment is changing to cause this?
 

Similar threads

  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
33
Views
1K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
2
Views
917
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
2
Replies
60
Views
664
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
2
Replies
57
Views
833
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
5
Views
1K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
33
Views
452
Back
Top