1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Tension for Centripetal Motion

1. Nov 25, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Find Tension for Centripetal Motion

George of the Jungle swings on a vine 6.5 meters long. What is the tension in the vine if George, whose mass is 75 kg, is moving at 2.4 m/s when the the vine is vertical?

I tried using the equation F = ma and a = v^2/r. I plugged the 2nd one into the first but it didn't come out with the right answer.

F = (75)(2.4^2)/(6.5) = 66.46 N when the answer should actually be 801.46 N. I know gravity should go somewhere in there too but I'm not sure where. I tried multiplying 66.46 by 9.8 m/s^2 and ended up with 651.32. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

There is tension in the rope and gravity. Draw a diagram if that helps. Both of these contribute to the centripetal force. Sum the forces up like you would any other force problem.

4. Nov 25, 2007 #3
    Solved! Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?