Find the acceleration of 3 blocks and tensions

In summary, -The two pulleys create a force that is resolved into a forward and backward motion. -The mass of the blocks will experience an acceleration based on its mass and the direction of the force. -T1 and T4 are calculated based on the forces and the acceleration.
avistein

Homework Statement

In the figure shown.Find :
a)acceleration of 1 kg,2kg,and 3kg blocks and
b)tensions T1 and T2

The Attempt at a Solution

2T1=2T2=>T1=T2
T2=1*a ,where a is acceleration of mass 1kg
T2=a
Let ar be the acceleration of mass 2 kg and 3kg wrt to the 3rd pulley.then,
3g-T1=3ar
and T1-2g=2ar
solving ar=g/5
net acceleartion of 2 kg and 3kg is a-ar and a+ar
then what to do?

Attachments

• ms3.jpg
    ms3.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 700
Physics news on Phys.org
Complicated affair. My degree might not be enough, but who knows...
I think we need some relevant equations. Could you collect them for us ?
And then perhaps some given info too. This thing on Earth or on the moon ?
Is T1=T2 a law of physics ?

Is T2 ending up in the middle of the pulley an accidental error? Or is that a spool of wire that is being held in place by the 1 kg weight.
Perhaps you want to introduce some more intermediary variables.

How are you getting along with this one ?
I gather you succesfully completed the two-block exercise, this is a bit more challenging.

Not done. I am still struggling with this.

avistein said:
Let ar be the acceleration of mass 2 kg and 3kg wrt to the 3rd pulley.then,
3g-T1=3ar
No. The mass doesn't 'know' anything about the motion of the pulley. It feels two forces and it accelerates accordingly.

We start with a simplification: the lower pulley only, static. later we let that part accelerate downwards, but first we have to discover something. We follow the advice in post #2: introduce T3 and T4. And we make a drawing.

Attachments

• Pulley1.jpg
    Pulley1.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 491
Wow, I see posts cross again. avi still awake ? Or at work / school?.

No matter, both helpers are useful to you. I continue with the simple case: the lower pulley only, static.

My questions are:
1. What other forces are there? So there is clearly no balance. And yet T1 = T3 (remember: pulleys only change force direction, not magnitude).
2. Can you calculate the acceleration ?
3. So what is T1?
4. Then: what is T4?

You can read up on this in links on Atwood's machine. The link even has a calculator, but you only want to use it to check things. Remember: you want to understand this. The numerical answer is only a side benefit, not a goal in itself.

Last edited:

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How do you find the acceleration of 3 blocks?

To find the acceleration of 3 blocks, you would first need to determine the net force acting on the blocks. Then, you can use the formula a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the blocks. Once you have the value of acceleration, you can use it to calculate the individual accelerations of each block.

3. What is tension?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled at both ends. In the context of finding the acceleration of 3 blocks, tension refers to the force exerted on each block by the string that connects them.

4. How do you calculate tension in a system of 3 blocks?

To calculate the tension in a system of 3 blocks, you would need to first determine the net force acting on each block. Then, you can use the formula T = ma, where T is tension, m is the mass of the block, and a is the acceleration. Repeat this process for each block to find the tension in each individual string connecting the blocks.

5. What factors can affect the acceleration of 3 blocks?

The acceleration of 3 blocks can be affected by several factors, including the net force acting on the blocks, the mass of the blocks, and the friction between the blocks and the surface they are on. Additionally, the angle and length of the strings connecting the blocks can also impact the acceleration. Other external forces, such as air resistance, may also play a role in the acceleration of the blocks.