Find the acceleration of an elevator

In summary: SI unitsIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of an elevator with varying weight loads. The attempt at a solution involves using the equation F=ma to calculate the acceleration, but there is confusion over whether the question is referring to mass or weight. Some suggest it may be a trick question, while others point out that kilograms is not a unit of weight. Ultimately, it is suggested to give the answer that the teacher wants in order to receive full marks.
patrilu5

Homework Statement

Find the acceleration of an elevator going upwards and downwards if your initial mass is 45 kg, when its going downwards is 36 kg, and when its going upwards is 47 kg.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

W=45(9.8)
W=441 N

W=47(9.8)
W=460.6 N

T=m(a+9.8)
460.6=45(a+9.8)
460.6=45a+441
19.6=45a
0.436 m/s^2= upward acceleration

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think this question makes sense. Your mass can't change in an elevator unless it's an elevator that can take bites out of you.

I assume the question was meant to say 'weight' instead of mass, in which case it should be in Newtons rather than kilograms?

JHamm said:
I assume the question was meant to say 'weight' instead of mass, in which case it should be in Newtons rather than kilograms?

Yes, and in which case this would be a tiny, tiny person.

1MileCrash said:
Yes, and in which case this would be a tiny, tiny person.
45 N humans do exist. I've seen them. Perfectly formed little people, with little faces, and little smiles, wearing specially made little boots to fit their little feet. Perfect in every detail, but just tiny, tiny all over. It's just like seeing minatures of real people, you could say.

On the other hand, the question does say "your" initial mass, and I'm quite sure none of these tiny people would be reading these maths questions.

Maybe it was meant to be initial weight of 45 kg wt, not an initial mass of 45 kg.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
45 kg people do exist. I've seen them. Perfectly formed little people, with little faces, and little smiles, wearing specially made little shoes to fit their little feet. Perfect in every detail, but just tiny, tiny all over. It's just like seeing minatures of the real thing, you could say.

And if the units are supposed to be Newtons, which is the point... have you seen a person that weighed 45 Newtons before? Maybe, but the umbilical cord was literally just cut.

NascentOxygen said:
Maybe it was meant to be initial weight of 45 kg wt, not an initial mass of 45 kg.

If it was worded exactly like posted on a test, I'd honestly write "Trick question, your mass doesn't change due to acceleration." or some other statement.

In fact, I'd even be annoyed if it read "45 kg wt" because kilograms simply is not a unit of weight.

1MileCrash said:
If it was worded exactly like posted on a test, I'd honestly write "Trick question, your mass doesn't change due to acceleration." or some other statement.
If the ride was really scary, you could lose half a kilo by vomiting. But it's hard to reconcile that with the rest of the question ...

kilograms simply is not a unit of weight.
Yes, but some teachers don't know that. You've got to give them the answer they want if you want the marks. That's the first important lesson you learn at school. o:)

Though kg wt is a perfectly valid unit of weight

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In other words, it is the change in speed or direction of an object over time.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

Why is it important to find the acceleration of an elevator?

Finding the acceleration of an elevator is important for safety reasons. It helps ensure that the elevator is functioning properly and not moving too quickly or too slowly, which can cause discomfort or even danger to passengers.

What factors can affect the acceleration of an elevator?

The acceleration of an elevator can be affected by the weight of the elevator and its passengers, the force of gravity, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

How can you measure the acceleration of an elevator?

The acceleration of an elevator can be measured using a variety of tools, such as accelerometers or motion sensors. These devices can track the change in velocity of the elevator over time and calculate the acceleration using the formula mentioned above.