1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Acceleration of the Aar Going Downhill

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car originally traveling at 30 m/s manages to break for 5 sec. while traveling 125 m downhill. At that point the breaks fail. After an additional 5 sec. it travels an additional 150 m down the hill. What was the acceleration of the car after the breaks failed?

2. Relevant equations
    Vxf = Vxi + axt and solve for a,Xf - Xi = Vxit + (1/2)axt^2, or ax = (Vxf - Vxi)/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I've tried to use all 3 equations to no avail, perhaps I'm using the wrong ones or I don't understand the question. Or maybe it wants the instantaneous acceleration at that instant (when breaks fail)? Any tips, suggestions are welcome, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You'll need to apply those equations to two separate pieces of the car's motion, (1) with breaks on the first 5 sec and (2) with breaks off for the next 5 sec.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?