Car and Ball Acceleration Problems

In summary, the conversation revolved around two physics problems - one involving a car's acceleration and stopping distance, and the other involving a ball being thrown from a building. The participants discussed the correct equations to use and provided guidance on how to solve the problems, including making sure to double check arithmetic and properly label initial and final values.
Masrat_A
Maybe I've gotten them figured out, but I'm still very much a physics newbie and thus not feeling confident, so if anyone could please review my work, I'd greatly appreciate it!

1. Homework Statement

1) A car accelerates uniformly from 10 m/s to 20 m/s in 5 seconds.
a) How far does it travel in this time?
b) After it reaches the speed of 20 m/s, how long does it take to stop the car over a distance of 100 m?

2) A ball thrown downward from the top of a 40 m high building takes 2 seconds to hit the floor. Determine its initial and final speeds.

Homework Equations

Please see link below.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://i.imgur.com/iRR84fbh.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1(a) your logic is correct. However check your arithmetic - what is 50+25?
For 1(b) you have worked out how long it takes for the car to travel 100m is it is not stopping. To calculate the time when it is stopping, assuming constant deceleration, you need to do the same sort of calc as in (a), with initial velocity 20 m/s, final velocity 0m/s and distance traveled =100m. Work out the acceleration a, which will be negative, then work out t.

Thank you! I've fixed (a), but for (b), would it be feasible to perform the following?

a = -V02/2d = -202/2(100) = -400/200 = -2 m/s2
t = (Vf - V0)/a = (0 - 20)/-2 = -20/-2 = 10 sec

Could any of us please provide some assistance with question number two as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those calculations look correct.

For Q2, use the equation ##d = v_0t+\frac12at^2##. We know the distance ##d##, acceleration ##a## and time ##t## so you can work out ##v_0##.

Likes Masrat_A
Could you please tell which is the a precisely? Would it be 20 m/s?

##a## is the acceleration due to gravity, which is ##9.8ms^{-2}##.

Oh, I see. Thank you again!

By following the equation d = v0t+1/2at2, here is what I have gotten:

40 = 2v0 + (9.8*4)/2
40 = 2v0 + 10.2
29.8 = 2v0
14.9 = v0

Would this be initial speed, or final? If initial, could anyone please explain how we could reach the final or vice-versa?

Masrat_A said:
Would this be initial speed, or final?
That equation came from the one you posted in the OP. What does ##v_0## represent in that equation?

Also, there is an arithmetic mistake in the second line of your last post.

Whoops, my mistake.

##40 = 2v_0 + (9.8*4)/2##
##40 = 2v_0 + 19.6##
##20.4 = 2v_0##
##10.2 = v_0##

I would say ##v_0## is initial. Does the following look okay for final?

##v_f = v_0 +at##
##v_f = 10.2 + (9.8)(2)##
##v_f = 29.6##

Yes, that all looks OK.

1. How is car acceleration measured?

Car acceleration is typically measured in terms of the time it takes for a car to go from 0 to 60 miles per hour (mph). This is known as the 0-60 time and is a common metric used to compare acceleration among different cars.

2. What factors affect a car's acceleration?

Several factors can affect a car's acceleration, including the car's weight, engine power, transmission, and tire traction. A lighter car with a more powerful engine and better traction will typically have faster acceleration.

3. Is there a maximum speed a car can accelerate to?

Yes, there is a maximum speed that a car can accelerate to. This is determined by the car's engine power and aerodynamics. Once the car reaches its maximum speed, its acceleration will begin to decrease until it reaches a constant speed.

4. How does acceleration differ from speed?

Acceleration refers to the rate at which an object's speed changes. It is measured in distance per time squared (m/s^2). Speed, on the other hand, is a measure of how fast an object is moving and is measured in distance per time (m/s).

5. Can car acceleration be improved?

Yes, car acceleration can be improved through modifications such as adding a turbocharger or supercharger, upgrading the engine, or reducing the car's weight. However, it is important to note that these modifications can also impact other aspects of the car's performance and should be done carefully and with proper knowledge.