Find the amount of energy per gram in various types of nuts

  • Thread starter Thread starter RockenNS42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Nuts Per
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
RockenNS42
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



We lit the nuts on fire and used them to heat up the water which was in an aluminum can. We then recorded the temperate. How would I find the energy?

an example of the results would be
cashew
mass of nut before- 1.53g
temp of water before-23C
mass of nut after - .19g
temp of water after- 58C


Homework Equations


q=mc delta T


The Attempt at a Solution



Im really just not sure how to set up the eqaution. I know I use

mc delta T but I am not sure what to do with the mass
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know the mass of water.
The Equation q = mcT is th energy needed to heat a mass of water 'm' through T kelvin

If you want bonus marks you also need the mass of the aluminium can and 'c' for aluminium.
 
As response to the last post, the mass of the wate was 100g and the mass of the can was 79.03