Find the angle so that it seems that Mars is approaching to you

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Like Tony Stark
Messages
182
Reaction score
6
Homework Statement
The spaceship S approaches Mars following the trajectory ##b−b## with velocity ##19.3 km/s## with respect to the Sun. If Mars has a velocity ##24.1 km/s## along the trajectory ##a−a## with respect to the Sun and the angle between ##b-b## and ##a-a## is ##30°## determine the angle between ##SM## and ##b−b## such that a person inside the spaceship "sees" that Mars is moving towards him
Relevant Equations
##v_{M/S}=v_M - v_S##.
I know that ##v_{M/S}=v_M - v_S##. I also know that ##v_M = (-24.1;0)##. Then, using some trigonometry, ##v_S=(-19.3 sin 30°;19.3 cos 30°)##.
So I can find ##v_{M/S}##. But that doesn't tell me anything about the angle ##\beta##.
 
Attachments
  • 20190906_202027777.jpg
    20190906_202027777.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 292
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
You have all three sides of a triangle, you can find the angles.
What triangle are you talking about? The one formed by the ##v_S##, ##v_M## and ##v_{M/S}##?