• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Find the angle so that it seems that Mars is approaching to you

Homework Statement
The spaceship S approaches Mars following the trajectory ##b−b## with velocity ##19.3 km/s## with respect to the Sun. If Mars has a velocity ##24.1 km/s## along the trajectory ##a−a## with respect to the Sun and the angle between ##b-b## and ##a-a## is ##30°## determine the angle between ##SM## and ##b−b## such that a person inside the spaceship "sees" that Mars is moving towards him
Homework Equations
##v_{M/S}=v_M - v_S##.
I know that ##v_{M/S}=v_M - v_S##. I also know that ##v_M = (-24.1;0)##. Then, using some trigonometry, ##v_S=(-19.3 sin 30°;19.3 cos 30°)##.
So I can find ##v_{M/S}##. But that doesn't tell me anything about the angle ##\beta##.

Attachments

You have all three sides of a triangle, you can find the angles.

You have all three sides of a triangle, you can find the angles.
What triangle are you talking about? The one formed by the ##v_S##, ##v_M## and ##v_{M/S}##?

Yes. The time until you and Mars collide is fixed, so distances and velocities are proportional to each other.